anybody hunting northern lower michigan - Michigan Predator Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

anybody hunting northern lower michigan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nmpat

nmpat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

anyone hunting coyotes in northern lower michigan. I've been calling last three months had my first coyote called in today. what a rush!

#2 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hi, Yes I have been trapping and calling the huron national forest area near Glennie. Had Bobcat, yotes, and eagles respond to my calling...but....very few and far between. We found areas thet where soooooo tracked up with yotes and thought....wow...easy pickins...NOT !!! Every morning and evening packs were just rippin. We tried lots of things...but still only manage to see one about every 6-9 set ups. I am not new to this....but am still a novice. I need advice.

Generally we set up in fieldish areas you know...open. We are using either a fox pro fx-3, parrie blaster, or mouth calls. We often set out a jack in the box also. We are hunting vergin areas....farms that have never been called. But still...only once in a while do we have a show ?????? I am not giving up....because...when it happens it is worth it.

I am trapping beaver and will often call ponds before I make sets....nothing yet...but loads of tracks. Seems like less now though weeks ago...every where....they were on the move.

#3 nmpat

nmpat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

I also have alot tracks and hear them alot. I've had them anwser the call, I think I should of waited longer on the stand when they did that. I haven't used a eletronic call just mouth calls. I think alot of the coyotes have been educated by other hunters. Been setting up along open fields also.

#4 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

Try this....give a lone yote howl for a bit see if you get reasponce if you do....sit for a minute quite then switch to a jack rabbit, snow shoe, yellow hammer, or cotton tail mouth or electric. Call for about 3 min then quite for one back to call and back to quite see what happens.

Sneak out to a corner so you can see where they are going to come from and rifle them. If close cover use your shotgun with 4 buck.

If that does not work I have some morters for sale .

#5 sagebrush

sagebrush

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

May sound weird..but throw some coyote locater calls, wait about 3-5min and scream grey fox distress. Then after another 5min if nothing cry some soft jackrabbit. I say soft because they will be on the way in to your setup. Good luck 8)

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23188 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Welcome to the forum sagebrush.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#7 sagebrush

sagebrush

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thank you youngdon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users