Yotes in VA - Virginia Predator Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Yotes in VA

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

You have at least one yote hunter in VA!:)

• Validating
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

Howdy Mike!!! Make that 2 in VA !!! I guess everyone is out hunting and not posting!!! Hoovy

#3 dude_clutch

dude_clutch

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Make it three. I'm up here in Fauquier.

#4 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Looks like we have a few of us then? Cool!

#5 SundownOutdoors

SundownOutdoors

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

Got one here in Amelia, VA as well. How did season go for you guys?

#6 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

Shot a few between deer season and the start of bass fishing here. Saw a few more opening turkey season and will go back after those in a few weeks.

#7 bonecollector

bonecollector

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

you got another one in amelia, va... im a big deer hunter and im now getting into fox/coyote hunting during the deer offseason i live right on the chesterfield/amelia boarder.. have a foxpro spitfire call and have only got a couple fox with it.. where i live there seems to be more of a red fox presence than a coyote presence (in the past month iv seen maybe 4 or 5 fox to 1 coyote) i was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for me? i mainly use a red fox distress or a rabbit in distress call... i like to hunt the open fields but i do hunt alot of hardwoods in my area too any suggestions?

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23004 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Welcome to the forum bonecollector.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#9 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Welcome BC, for the hardwoods (i take it you mean hunting wooded ares) a scattergun would probably be best as they move fast enough to make a shot through woods iffy and they can get quite close before you even see them, practically rendering a scope a moot point. But also they WILL probably see you before you do them. So even when in the woods, figure the wind, set up downwind of a clearing in the woods or at least the most open area in the woods and off to the side a bit. An electronic call is better suited for the woods as you wont pin point your position. Lastly IMO you will make many sets that dont produce in the woods because the "master" definitely has the advantage in his preferred environment which is concealment offered by the woods. And dont give up...

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23004 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

I've called a lot of fox with coyote pup distress. Oh, and sit still !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#11 marty dabney

marty dabney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

got another one here in charlottesville

#12 norsemaninbfe

norsemaninbfe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I will be in
south Hampton
county shortly.

Vern

#13 awd199

awd199

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

VA here also, just a little NW of Bristol.

#14 bowhunter8225

bowhunter8225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Got a couple here in Halifax. Usually go out for foxes at night and rarely we'll call in a coyote at night. Never seem to get many in range to see them. What kinda calls do yall use?

#15 Predatorhunter

Predatorhunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:51 AM

Welcome to PT bowhunter8225!
"Until the lion writes it's own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter"

#16 marty dabney

marty dabney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

thats a good question.here latley nothing seems to be working in virginia.but when things are right usually distress calls work well.

#17 HowlinRed

HowlinRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I've been using mostly distress sounds, rabbit and birds but I can't call in a yote for nothing. I have called in a few bobcats, which is great fun but the dogs are giving me a fit. Saw one the other day after me and a friend were moving sets but this yote was not coming to the call. I am gonna start using yote sounds though. Try to take advantage of breeding season. It can't get worse.

Good luck guys, and please post your stories!

#18 Fuzzy54

Fuzzy54

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

hey guys I'm new to coyote hunting and need some(ALOT) help. Ive been a several times but still no luck. We have seen several coyotes and many foxes during deer season and on our poultry farm but havn't been able to call any out. what are some of the tips and tricks you guys have found successful in your predator hunting experiences.

#19 marty dabney

marty dabney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

welcome fuzzy.alot of people,myself included,in virginia have had difficulty calling these past few months.the best advice i can give is keep calling.eventually they will respond and hopefullyyour ready to make the shot.where abouts in va are you?

#20 Fuzzy54

Fuzzy54

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm here in Cumberland County. Not too many people out here have gotten into coyote hunting, so I’m having some trouble finding help. I just wanted to thank you because any info is extremely helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users