Michigan Predator hunters - Michigan Predator Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Michigan Predator hunters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Girdham

Girdham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

I live in Southern Michigan and have been hunting coyotes for the last three years. My friend and I haven't yet killed a coyote; lately, we haven't even been able to get a response. Unlike most people around this area, we haven't run yotes with dogs. We sit and wait for them to come to us while calling. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Work is a fine thing as long as it doesn't interfere with my hunting

#2 winterfunguy

winterfunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

3 years and no kills? Time to get a new spot! I can almost always get a response with the young pup yipes just before dawn. Or a male challenge cry...

#3 Girdham

Girdham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

I bought a foxpro spitfire and haven't had time to go out. I go out at breaktime at work and call for them. I get responses with the serenade and with a siren.
Work is a fine thing as long as it doesn't interfere with my hunting

#4 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3654 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

Girdham
sounds to me your going about it all wrong---frist off break time at work isn't the best time to be calling. [but any time is better than no time at all]--first you have to use scent controll at all times. [your hunting the smartest critter in the woods] next you have to play the wind .very imporant!!! If you walk to your hide with the wind to your back and your scent in front of you the game is over. You've already lost. At your set-up sit the cross wind --mister yote has a comfort zone before he criclels down wind which every yote will do. Some father than others--hunting by your self you need to be looking down wind with some opening you can see for some distance-with a partner make sure one of you are watching downwind. Scout your area make sure yotes are active. Hunt frist light and last light more. And always have your spitfire call placed up wind of you and off to the right or left--i bet you've have call critters in just haven't seen them and they smelled your set-up. Don't give up once you kill one you'll be hooked for ever--hope this helps i'm from the up skip

#5 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3324 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

What Skip said is all good information. I got a double my first year and still waiting for a chance to shoot some more :naughty:

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23188 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

Welcome to the forum fr3d b3ar. Beware the giants that live on the plains of Montiel !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#7 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5878 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

What Skip said is all good information. I got a double my first year and still waiting for a chance to shoot some more :pawprint:

It's about time you joined Fred !! Welcome !!

#8 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6908 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:21 AM

Welcome fr3db3ar.

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management
                                                                                   National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#9 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

Welcome fr3, hope you enjoy the site.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#10 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5878 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:26 AM

Just gearing up for Jan. so we start doing some coyote hunting here in Mid-Michigan !!

FIGHT !!!!

#11 Toolsofthetrade

Toolsofthetrade

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

glad to see some other MI hunters here...Ive been hunting coyotes severl years so far and have only dropped on....sad, another guy I work with got about 12 last year. : (

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users