Gray Fox Hunting - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Gray Fox Hunting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol

Capitol

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:39 PM

I enjoy hunting Gray Fox. They can be sneaky and surprisingly stupid all at the same time.

I went out last night and called in four Fox and only managed to put one down. The first two came in to my hand calls, but never slowed down enough for a shot and then went into heavy brush.

Third one was barking at me from inside a brush line. The grays sure have a loud aggressive sounding bark. I never did see it, but no doubt it was there. Shotgun was needed!

And number four.

This area is small and surrounded with scattered dirt berms. It's gonna be close up action. I find a tree to stand under and begin calling. The third Fox I spoke about above starts yelling (barking loudly)  at me on my right yet I cant see it.

When looking through my monocular I see a Fox coming in and get on my rifle. Next thing I know, there it is looking over the dirt berm not more then 15 yards from me.

Video

https://www.youtube....h?v=zG5WWTNKwAM

wRs6QD.jpg

#2 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6404 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:10 AM

Good work.  They sure are good looking. 

Those monoculars were always hard for me to use and gave them up.  I thought it would be smart, because I have only one good eye, and therefore, it seemed to make sense.  Although a bit more cumbersome, a good binocular was the ticket for me.

A shotgun loaded with Winchester's Varmint X BB loads can really stretch the normal shotgun range.  You might want to consider it as an alternative.  Try it; you'll like it.  But, I suspect it wouldn't be topped with night-vision glass.

#3 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12090 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:34 AM

Congrats., thanks for sharing.

#4 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6792 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:51 AM

Nice 👍😁

#5 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3682 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:02 AM

Good look'in gray--- if they're bark'in at ya, your usually busted.

I do my best on Grays from just after daylight to around 10 in the morn'in up in this country. Cover is pretty tight (pic) but I use a .22lr since I'm hide hunt'in most of the time.

Sure do hate skin'in a critter that's been put down with a shotgun

Attached Files

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users