Predator Hunting Forum banner

Off again ..Part 4.

23K views 457 replies 10 participants last post by  hassell 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Seems like forever,but Im almost ready to start my snare line again . Got lots of snare and extensions ready,most are left over from last years dismal performance. Welded up another 2 dozen stakes today and built 6 new style supports.
Also called in and took my first dog of the year to see if they are ready ,I would say he is 90% there , havent talked with my new skinner to see how blue or white he is .
67d592c7bff5e8086808ed960c7b3b8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
No doubt Glen, shot was fairly close tho..100 yds .We had sat for 20 mins and had deer watching our direction but when their heads turned to the right i knew we had a contestant and there he was ..Rifle deer season starts here on Wednesday so i will shoot those I see and claim as many as i can before those hunters get em wild .
I may set a few snares on private property where there is limited access ,but for the most part snaring is 3 weeks off .
Hopefully i can get some prebait out about November 25.

#7 ·
Looking good, furred up good on the front half, we're all excited here for the upcoming season and adventures.
Thanx Rick , you just keep the west wind from being a hurricane and give me some snow .
Gonna be different this year as my son has decided to not run a line .He wont be coming with me as much because of his fear of the disease factor, he will continue to call and shoot but the upclose snaring aspect doesnt appeal to him and i respect that ...but its gonna be lonely .[emoji25][emoji252][emoji252]

#12 ·
Yup, got a busy week ahead of me , wean calves on Tuesday ,sell on Wednesday, preg chek on Thursday .. breath .. meanwhile rifle deer opens Wednesday as well.Hope this guy makes an appearance
aa320548ab9f017912cd9f390b286e97.jpg

Weaning and preg checking has coincided with our rut and 2 week long gun season ever since I can remember. We have a big bunch of tight neighbors and it usually takes every bit of 30-40 days to get everyone done. Day workers often want to barter days working cattle for days hunting deer. Sometimes they do both at the same time. Gets kinda comical. One of them sent me these memes.
cc374e6aa5ef8a3723c47db443296deb.jpg
cca3514d77e69801c5e1335cd16417ce.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Good work on that one Cam. You can check the fur and his sewing ability too. I’m ready to read of your exploits again this year. Hopefully you’ll need a longer fence.

Reactions: C2C and pokeyjeeper
#15 ·
Thx guys .. expecting a major snowfall again this weekend ,up to 18" !! If so the dogs will be hungry and I can smack a few . Yes Don , I am interested in seeing how his put up is ,his Dad skinned for almost 20 years ago and was very good .

#16 ·
Got dog #4 today while deer hunting ,fur looks good . I dropped him off qith the new skinner and checked out his work on the first 3 ....glad to report that he has done an exceptional job,cant wait to get him some more work.
Im headed back to the Calagary bowzone today for 3 days to hunt whitetails with my son and when we get back I will start hanging cable [emoji252][emoji252]

#21 ·
Good luck !

#23 ·
What? No video?

Maybe it was an issue with one of the "Cams."

Anyway, here's hoping a bigger one comes along.
Hahaha...it wasnt the bow, it was the loose nut behind the wheel..lol...anyway i went back Sunday cause a couple big boys had shown up out of no where ..see pics..the darker bucks pics where taken Sunday morning 100 yds from my buddys house as he guarded a doe ..next morning the buck came by his stand and my buddy grazed his back with an arrow ...I passed on a small.buck at last light ,so season is over..life goes on .
cdd34479177f8b7de948a6c81b231622.jpg
bf2f00f47cad7be361d1f4ccb40ba3f1.jpg

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
So today's the day ,packed some stuff to set snares close to home...do the other 2 big sites tomorrow ..heres my basic pack:
Snares ,extensions , stakes,support wires and tools ..forgot my 15" hole punch rod so I made do with rebar to do it .
Not much for brush patches here ,so i wired 3 deboned deer legs together and tied to a tree on edge of the creekbed .Iset a snare in the trail 30 ft either side and one on bank above it ..also one in 2 passing trails within 50 yds .These are the 2 I expect to catch first on . 3 fence line sets as well ,even tho i hate them the apots were too good to pass up.
Finished the day with 10 set total and looking forward to tomorrow ..[emoji41][emoji252][emoji252]
Heres some of todays sets ,looking at them now I maybe could have hid the spring abit better.
06dc550569109f3ad1feee2ace5531bb.jpg
c002d36ad8c63661d0afcdca22b1de94.jpg
a3af386d9da8a3c93259e525815faa0e.jpg

bfc5971a7b5d2e587752c2bb65cfd4b0.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.