Could use your opinon about bullets - Reloading & Ammo - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Could use your opinon about bullets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

I am getting ready to go to Prince of Wales Island to hunt black bear and black tail deer and have been having trouble deciding on which bullet for my wife to use in her 6.5 creedmoor to hunt deer and bear.  they are two different animals when it comes to toughness of skin and ability to stop on a short manner.  I have been thinking about a 125gr. Nosler Partition and a Hornaday 129 gr. SST bullet.  Or should we take both?  I am leaning toward the SST but don't know how it would do on bear.  I have shoot antolope with the 125 gr. and they were pass though with not much of a would channel.  Your opion will be considered and Then I will decide.  She can't take the recoil very good so the 140 grain is out.

#2 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3137 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

if she can put it where it matters it won't make any difference. if she can't , no bullet will be sufficient.

jmho!

if you build your life upon a firm foundation , 

the storms of life won't blow it down!

#3 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

That is what I am shooting for but, we will see if she can do it when the time comes.  I am glad you said that, it is what I try to do all of the time  and is a good reason to shoot more.

#4 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23006 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

I don’t have any experience with the SST’s. But the partitions have dropped 2 elk for me in the past. I don’t currently use them only because they got hard to find for a while. Those I used were 30 cal.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#5 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

I have a bunch that I have been collecting along the way at times. Finding them is not a problem for me.  I think I will load some to take of both and use the partition of the bears and sst on the deer.  We can get two black bear and four bucks on the Island, each I am not planning on taking that much but who knows.

#6 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6230 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:43 AM

Wouldn't use the SSTs on bear or they could use their teeth on you.  I've tested them for integrity and found their weight retention to be very low - more like a varmint bullet.  

Nosler partition all the way.  Barnes bullets, would be my first choice, however - especially for bear.

That 6.5 is a great design and will penetrate extremely well.  Do some testing in wet newpaper, Barry, and compare your choices side by side.  Could be an eye opener.  I would sacrifice some accuracy, to have a tough bullet on my side when hunting bears.  They have big kill zones and being able to shoot the wings off flies doesn't matter.

Sure wish she could handle one of your .45-70s.  

#7 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:17 AM

Thanks glen I will take both because we are also hunting black tail deer and they should be thinner skinned and will work good on them, if not it is the partition all the way for me.  She is pretty recoil shy and the 45-70 kick too much for her, she is right handed and left eye dominate so it is a little more off.  She will work it out and I know she will when she gets there.

#8 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6230 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

I've never shot the same 6.5 but have a Swede 6.5x55 and that bullet provides more energy than someone might think.  I've only taken one deer with it but absolutely no issues.  Yeah, not a heavy kicker but still packs a substantial punch.  Lots of big game taken with the 6.5s in Europe.

Best of luck to the both of you.  Very cool adventure ahead.

#9 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:56 PM

I have seen several one shot kills in a 260 rem. on black bear and had a pass though shot on an antelope using a 125 nosler partition due to the thin skin of the anamal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users