Not in my Backyard - Varmint & Small Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Not in my Backyard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6157 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

Just decided to get my Savage .17 HMR dialed in yesterday, 'cause I'm a bit under-gunned with my .22s at times. 

This brazen hay hog dug itself some holes in a backyard target backstop dirt hill.  I've spotted the critter there before and cleared a lane from the garage to the hill some 78 yards away.  Already saw the 'chuck out there this morning eating apples, so I lined up on its throat when it came out for more.  Sent a 17-grain V-Max to the target and got that tail to spin like a top.  It now rests at my critter depot out back, where anything may dine on it.

Gun is a Savage heavy barrel with a Leupold VX 3, 1.75x6 power with Leupold magnetic lens caps.  The glass used to sit atop a deer gun and has all the cool filters for various conditions. 

I also covered up a cheap (and, still is) hardwood stock with a custom finish.  Just masked off the checkering.  At least I feel better about the stock now.

The tiny bullets grouped 3 shots in the very center at 50 yards measuring .375" only because I had a "flyer".  Good news is that much of the .17 HMR ammo has come down in price and can be had for less than $10/box in some configurations.

Attached Files

#2 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11827 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:02 PM

Fine machine it is Glen.

#3 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22929 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

One can only assume the culprit dug the hole in your backstop trying to find lead to dine on. It would appear you found him a shortcut. Congrats.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#4 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6157 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

Yeah, I guess it didn't much care for the taste of it. 

But, within a short period of time, "my" vultures were recycling that home wrecker.  I think they watch for the fast food, because they sure show up fast sometime.  I drove my 4 wheeler right through them yesterday and they just made a small loop in the air and settled back to business when I passed.  I'll miss their services when they leave for the South, but other opportunists will fill in.

Attached Files

#5 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:36 PM

Nice sniping Glenway I seen I have another one that has moved in on me I seen him Monday but I was unarmed his days are numbered he’s a smaller one so we may have roasted woodchuck for Sunday dinner

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#6 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3278 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

Nice pic

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic