Colorado Muzzleloader - Elk Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Colorado Muzzleloader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Finally have decided to plan a Colorado elk hunt. I’d like to do the muzzleloader season in September or early October before the Kentucky deer season really gets into gear. Is there anyone on here that’s participated in that season willing to give some advice? Also, any thoughts about how long it takes to get drawn for this season? If it usually takes quite a few preference points I may just bite the bullet and do an archery hunt. Any other info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 04:53 PM

Planning the hunt for 2021 by the way, not 2020.

#3 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3081 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:50 AM

I am not up on colorado but would suspect  how hard it is to draw depends on the unit you wish to hunt.

if you build your life upon a firm foundation , 

the storms of life won't blow it down!

#4 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3639 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Your right about which unit you choose kiyote.

Most NR Muzzleloader permits aren't that hard to draw.

Best advise is to talk with someone who knows how to hunt Elk--- hunt'in Elk aint nothing like chase'in deer on your side of the big river.

Are you gonna hire an Outfitter--- run on a trespass permit--- or a DIY Forest hunt?.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#5 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

Definitely going to be a DIY hunt. And yes Cat, research and educating myself is a must.

Sort of answered my own question though. From what I have found, there’s a few units that have really good chances for a non resident muzzleloader draw with 0 points. There’s even a few for the first rifle that has nearly double the success rate.

So now I’m torn between applying for the September muzzleloader with lower success rates and a longer season, versus October rifle with higher success rates and shorter season.... decisions

#6 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3639 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:54 PM

Sept. you'll have a chance at hunt'in the early rut--- sometimes good---sometimes not so if their run'in late.

With the drought we've been for the last few years, the Elk are move'in early cause the feed is run down.

Check out the bunny cop page (CDOW) and look over their fall/winter migration maps. The Elk are head'in towards their winter range right now and will probably move early next year too. If a unit your look'in to hunt is in one of those areas, I'd direct my attention there.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#7 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3081 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:50 AM

if after the big bull,  I've always liked early rut ,when bulls are looking or their harem preferable to late rut when they are cowed up. if only after a satalite bull or a cow , anytime in the next month or so should be good.  the velvet is gone  and they are bugling strong now  here in idaho 

more eyes  to fool later. imho, the next week or two is the prime time to be  out elk hunting the rut.

keep in mind ,I am in idaho ,not colorado. rut could be a wee different there.

if you build your life upon a firm foundation , 

the storms of life won't blow it down!

#8 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:47 AM

Just learned about the prohibitions against most modern muzzleloaders for Colorado elk. No scope or pelletized powder. I just upgraded my muzzleloader last year so now I use both of those lol

Probably leaning more towards the rifle season now. I wouldn’t mind an archery hunt but this being my first time elk hunting I’ll consider it a successful hunt if I just lay eyes on a bull. Closing the disctance into archery range would be a challenge Id be willing to test, if I was more confident in knowing what I was doing.

Of course I’d love to take a trophy bull, but I’d be after the first legal bull that walks into range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users