Different kind of calling - Varmint & Small Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Different kind of calling

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I’ve had a large woodchuck that seems to know if I’m armed or not that has been digging up the banks of one of the waste water lagoons on the property I manage so this late this afternoon I tried something different and set up with my Icotec gc-500 ecaller and played groundhog pup within 30 seconds up a large female woodchuck pops out of one of the many holes about 100 yards from me I had my Olympic arms umar 22-250 on the sticks at the ready one shot one kill I’ve read about calling them but never tried it I will be doing more of it here’s a picture of the beast
Attached File  1C7027E1-7AF7-4135-89DA-944F68AC178D.jpeg   403.09KB   6 downloads

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#2 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11798 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:43 PM

Well done , congrats.

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:19 AM

Great job, Pokey!  Never heard of calling them that way and I've taken hundreds of them over the years.  Gotta see if I can get that call for my old FoxPro caller.

#4 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

Thanks guys
Glenway I don’t remember where this sound came from I know mine is not a fox pro sound as they will not play on my caller I’ll do some digging as this me just be in a mp3 formate and would play on any ecaller

#5 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6100 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:57 AM

Cool.

I called one hay hog and this is how. 

Old farmer friend, Charley, told me he'd been seeing a 'chuck whenver he went by the hole in his tractor.  So, I headed out to the area and set up with Bullwinkle to wait for it to show.  Nothing after maybe an hour.  Then, I remembered that Charley said it came out when he motored by. 

I fired up my hot rod K5 Blazer and with its built small block and headers it made some noise.  Chuck pops out, so I handed Bullwinkle my T/C Contender, 14-inch .223, because he was in a better position.  Rolled up to 80 yards and Bullwinkle's aim was true.  Yep, only curious one I've ever called.

Now, I've heard 'em whistle but I can't say as I know the sound of younguns.

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22893 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

Good thinking Pokey.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#7 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

Yes Glenway I’ve heard them whistle and read about guys calling them with a woodchuck whistle but I have not tried it the sound I used sounds like a small mammal distress sound I did check and the sound I have is an ico tec sound and will only play with there callers I believe it is a wildlife technology sound as a lot of the sound they had at first were

#8 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Well today I had to do some work back at the lagoons again my brother was with me and no woodchuck were seen this morning at 1:30 I went to get some sand to dry and make waxed dirt with for trapping this fall hot dry weather like we have been having is great for this on the way up from the sand pit I drive by the lagoons and a woodchuck is out so I hide the truck get everything out and he is gone so I setup like yesterday started the caller and let it play on and off for 15 minutes no show pack everything up walk the long way back to me truck put everything back in the truck except the gun and think I should have one more look he’s back out and it’s 150 yard shot and I don’t have my shooting sticks they are in the truck and offhand I’m not sure I’ll connect so I go get the sticks get settled in and he sees me and starts running for his hole I swing thinking he may stop short of the hole he did and I got him fair sized one when I went the retrieve him I seen another one so I have one me to get yet here’s today’s picture
Attached File  2AAE59B3-F8A5-49E7-989E-942003D8DC3B.jpeg   187.86KB   5 downloads

#9 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6100 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

Chuckin' and away we go.

#10 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11798 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Well done sniper.

#11 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3628 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Grats Pokey nice Shoot'en---------Boy chunked up pieces of Chuck tainted just a tad makes the best fox bait--hope you kept  EM-Good stew too------------- :hunter: 

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22893 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Nice shot pokey.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#13 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Thanks guys I’m going to see if I can get that 3rd one in a while here

#14 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

Well I got another one today but the 22-250 made a mess so no picture as I don’t think I some post it this one was just sniped no calling

#15 porcupine

porcupine

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Awesome story.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users