200 gr Barnes or 220 gr Sierra for a 8mm rem mag. - Reloading & Ammo - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

200 gr Barnes or 220 gr Sierra for a 8mm rem mag.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dang Dawg

Dang Dawg

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

OK here is the thing.

I have recently worked up two outstanding loads for my rem 700 8mm rem mag. One is a Barnes 200 TSX running at 3200 fps and a Sierra 220 gameking that is going just a few fps less than 3100.
Both shoot 5 group shots at an inch at 200 yards. The 220 have a "little" more felt recoil. I'll use it for Elk, bear, and an unfortunate mule deer on occasion. Unlikely over 400 yards. Which one would you zero in on? The Sierra's are a bit cheaper but not by much.
I have a lot of faith in Barnes bullet and use them in most of my hunting situations in multiple calibers. But kinda looking for a big bullet for a big gun. Thoughts?

Like the shooting ,Love the Hunting

#2 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

The one that shoots the lowest and figure the other one at how many inches higher and have them so that they both can be used. Know which one is being used and change the clicks to adjust it.  If they are an inch apart or so just split the difference.

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6040 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:43 AM

Barnes because of its predictable expansion and integrity.  The only reason I wouldn't use it would be if it was not accurate.

I've taken plenty of deer with the Barnes bullets in all kinds of guns.  Typically, the bullets cannot be recovered, because they pass through.  But, on bigger animals such as Elk penetration could be the best reason.

They open up like the pictures they advertise and on only one occasion after recovering one of the bullets did I find less than 100-percent of the bullet - and that was only one petal that peeled off and broke.  Pro hunters, who are not obligated to use some sponsored ammo, use them for the same reason.  Pro hunter, Ron Spomer, whom I've met and discussed this issue with, uses Barnes for the reasons stated.  

Once upon a time, Barnes got bad reviews because of copper fouling in the bore.  But, by adding the grooves, they've solved that issue.

I would also test them side-by-side by shooting into something like wet newpapers to recover them for comparison.

Some people like bullets that come apart, claiming that it gives an edge with shrapnel.  Personally, I'd rather the bullet expands and holds together.  A "cheaper" bullet would have no bearing on my decision.

#4 Dang Dawg

Dang Dawg

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:22 AM

​Accuracy is about equal. I to like the Barnes and use I use them a lot in MANY different platforms.

In my Big bores I do find them a little light. My 45/70 for instance. I normal shoot a a 300 Hornady HP but have a very good load with a 250 Barnes, both shoot very well but when you get out to over 300 yards the heaver Hornady is my preferred choice for held speed and energy.

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22833 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:55 PM

You seem to have more confidence in the Barnes and given that accuracy is equal I'd use them. 

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#6 Dang Dawg

Dang Dawg

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

I guess.

I have 150 200's loaded and 50 220's. At 75 shell per pound that's a lot of powder. 

I want to do some paper work at 500 yards and see what happens way out there.

It is a ruff gun to be "Plinking" with but I need to know where I'm at with each bullet.

I have full faith in either, even a grizzly  should fall over with a good shot...

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6040 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:11 AM

A picture of recovered Barnes taken from quartering shots at deer.  You can see where the petals broke off.  When one considers how those petals bent backwards, it's easy to imagine the damage when those "cookie cutters" plowed through as they were opening.

I've tried to pry those petals open and it's impossible without tools.  

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users