Can coyotes see infra red (IR) light - Nighttime Calling - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Can coyotes see infra red (IR) light

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wgrooms1

wgrooms1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:50 PM

Gentlemen;

I night hunt in Virginia, with little success. I spoke with two hunters who claim to be successful who told me that the use of ANY light (including IR light) will kill your chances of calling any coyotes in the east at night. I have noticed that my trail cameras (that project IR light) seem to spook coyotes although it seems like the trail camera lights are very close to the coyotes and they seem to be looking straight into the light when they are spooked. When you look straight into an IR light you can see a red glow. Otherwise you see no light at all.

My question is; can coyotes see IR light from a night vision scope projector.

#2 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6099 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:43 AM

Yeah, I've had the same issue with IR video recorder/trail cams.  Spooked as soon as the light comes on.  But, like you said, they're pretty close to the light source when it comes on.

All types of light are commonly used by night hunters - white, red, green, etc. - and many coyotes are picked off nonetheless.  My hunch is that they see the various lights but are not necessarily spooked, if the distance to the light source is far enough away.  Sometimes they'll head right toward a light, as though it wasn't there.

Others that use IR scopes may have a better grasp on your question.

#3 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3270 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

I've had cooties avoid me with the IR within 100 yards, they see the glow of the lamp and know it doesn't belong there.

They can't see the light that's projected.

A lot killed every week with IR and NV.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users