Questions for a Wise Man - Random Polls - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Questions for a Wise Man

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Questions for a Wise Man (1 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you ask a true wildlife conservationist?

1. What would you like to learn from a true authority on wildlife matters as they relate to various rules, regulations, or laws? (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Should Federal judges have authority over the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6005 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:11 AM

Got this message from Lowell E. Baier, Esq. this morning and I am very much looking forward to another interview this week.  When last we spoke, the issue was how the Endangered Species Act (ESA) had been perverted and abused by animal protectionists and how his research was going to shape the future of the ESA.

Glen---You called the Boone and Crockett HQ back in 2017 looking for the authority on the Equal Access To Justice Act , and they referred you to me. We talked and you did a short article on that subject.  I've got a new book coming out the 3rd week of this month, and I'd like to tell you about it, and its relevance to private land owners across America.  Please call me on my cell 301-xxx-xxxx.  I've been a practicing attorney in Washington, DC for the last 56 years, and am a legal and environmental historian.  Lowell E. Baier.  You can look me up on the web.

Here is my question to any and all Predator Talk members:  What would you like to learn from a true authority on wildlife matters as they relate to various rules, regulations, or laws?  

I realize this question covers a lot of ground and I don't know the basis for his new book; however, I know he has spent over 5 years of his life working on the ESA failures and subsequent reforms and is in our corner when it comes to genuine wildlife conservation - unlike those that have co-opted the term for public consumption, sympathy and money to ban the outdoor pursuits we cherish.

The bio below is from Wikipedia

Lowell E. Baier
Entreprener
Lowell E. Baier - is an American attorney, successful entrepreneur, and an environmental historian and author. He has dedicated his life to natural resources and wildlife conservation. Throughout his career he has been an advisor to many elected officials and educators, including every successive presidential administration since George H. W. Bush, and has been an active and instrumental member of several national conservation groups including President of the Boone and Crockett Club.

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22810 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

I’d like to hear his perspective on “ Why the fed continually settles the lawsuits that the antis bring against its ESA and the American people , thereby funding those same anti hunting groups. “ What are his thoughts on the wolf being reintroduced, and is it time to open the seasons up on them in the areas now restricted ?
I’d also like to hear his thoughts on CWD, and whether he thinks that the states are doing enough to stem the spreading of it.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6005 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:37 AM

Thanks, YD. Good questions and I'm sure he'll be all over them.

When I talked to him in 2017, it was clear that a particular senator from Nevada (now retired) would not bring the ESA proposals to the senate floor.  Since then, I am unclear what has transpired, but we'll find out now.

Thanks for your input!

#4 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22810 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:26 AM

You’re certainly welcome for the input. It’ll be interesting to hear his input on the subjects.
Harry Reid was certainly a putz.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#5 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2831 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

is it reasonable to expect   F&G  to be on the hook  for damages  elk cause  for landowners that refuse public/hunting   access?

I ask this because  a few years ago there was a landowner near me , who posted he would no longer grant hunting access to his lands because F&G  had allowed elk herds to grow to large. and would not ,until he was reimbursed for damages .

I do understand his frustration but it seemed a silly solution to me.

if you build your life upon a firm foundation , 

the storms of life won't blow it down!

#6 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3576 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

In some areas of the country that's quite a hot topic kiyote.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6005 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:52 AM

I would think a person has the right to refuse hunting permission no matter the reason unless he's getting some form of government payments for allowing access.  

I'm not sure I understand the issue of the question and I'll be talking to Lowell Baier this morning so it may not get asked.

#8 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2831 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:48 AM

In some areas of the country that's quite a hot topic kiyote.

:pawprint:

as it should be.  that's why I would like to hear his thoughts on it.

#9 kiyote

kiyote

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2831 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:57 AM

I would think a person has the right to refuse hunting permission no matter the reason unless he's getting some form of government payments for allowing access.  

I'm not sure I understand the issue of the question and I'll be talking to Lowell Baier this morning so it may not get asked.

if not , no harm ,no foul.

that's the issue in a nutshell  glen.

I am NOT  unsympathetic to the land owner.  

the great thing about owning land is the right to set the rules on it  BUT when one takes assistance , I don't really think it unreasonable to expect a " quid pro qou",   either. :wink:  :biggrin:

#10 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6005 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:55 AM

That's what I was thinking, Kiyote.

And, for what it's worth, YD, he is not in favor of man's effort to introduce more wolves, as is now being done.  He simply said that wolves are expanding on their own.  As far as the payouts to the animals' lawyers, he said that the new law that he wrote for Congress - Equal Access to Justice Act - has only been about half way enforced, because the USFWS budget has been severely cut.  He also said that the current administration is ignoring science for the most part in many of its actions.

I had a lengthy discussion with Mr. Baier and it centered on a revolutionary concept relative to wildlife management:  Talk to the landowners!  He recognizes that many of today's wildlife biologists and "authorities" never get dirt under their fingernails and that "book learning" (my term) can get in the way of a person's education (again, my spin).

In his new book soon to be released, Lowell Baier has put together a reference manual for those property owners who'd like to enhance habitat and the like through myriad government programs nobody knows about - mostly from title 6 of the Farm Bill.  He breaks it all down and it includes resources for even the land owners with relatively small properties.

Soon we will see state agencies expanding and teaching his methods much like Missouri is already doing with its successful model.

I'll have more info in the upcoming weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users