And were off - Part 3 . - Trapping & Fur Handling - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

And were off - Part 3 .

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#1 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

Been a long time coming, tomorrow setting 2 baits hopefully. This last big storm should put the grizz to bed I'm hoping . I had 3 big baits last year and gave up one if them this year because of bears . The other 2 I can see from the top of the river bank and twll if they were ok to enter
This third one was a walk in that wasnt visible til you were in it ...I caught 20 coyotes there last year ,lost 1 to an eagle ,9 had mange and left with 10 mediocre dogs for an extra 40 mile round trip .. not worth the effort and expense. I will ask for permission to come and call the area once in awhile .
You may think what's the worry about bears in dead of winter..blacks no problem .. grizz are a different beast ..
I've seen tracks in December thru February while pred calling, some of the big boars never truly hibernate and can come out for a stroll anytime ...I'm carrying an air horn on a pressure can this year while snaring and hope I never need it . Pepper spray is great as long as the wind is in your favor, if not ?? Well at least you will be a seasoned meal .
Will take some pics as I go and hope you will follow along , last year is gonna be hard to beat 1f380266de629e9dd7aec3e9285f735c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

#2 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

Get after them good luck
  • C2C likes this

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#3 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11858 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:27 PM

You're bang on about the grizz., I use to go an hour early to get set up out at the farm, after cutting tracks I've changed my ways, tough to get away with no trees.

• C2C likes this

#4 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

You're bang on about the grizz., I use to go an hour early to get set up out at the farm, after cutting tracks I've changed my ways, tough to get away with no trees.

Yup, at least I hope to see if anything is at the site .. coyotes rarely get it all cleaned up so if it is I know I've had unwanted company .

#5 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6190 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:17 AM

Got my seat ready for the show.  Don't kill yourself trying to set another milestone.  Everyone only has one best year.

#6 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2239 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:50 AM

Who has the popcorn for the event.  We all will be watching and cheering you on.

#7 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11858 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:07 AM

Yes I agree with all of you, this will be my favorite channel this winter season.

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:49 AM

Mine too !

Have at them young man !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#9 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

Lol.. thanx folks
.cocked, locked and ready to rock !!!a4d897a771be8aa9ce0634f4da066dcf.jpg

#10 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

Lunch of champions ....a tube steak and a can of Dr. Pepper ..dfe2d9480bfab154bfe8fe8cb140beeb.jpg

#11 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11858 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

Homemade round steak.

• C2C likes this

#12 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3643 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:55 PM

Can't Wail for your first check Cam------I'll be watching for the results---The Master is at work GUYS -I like round steak too :cook:  :biggrin:  :eating: ------------------------

• C2C likes this
CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#13 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:57 PM

A couple things Cam,

1.) Did you cut yourself ? How many stitches ?

2.) Never tell anyone you ate a tube steak, those two words have a very differnt meaning to some.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#14 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

A couple things Cam,
1.) Did you cut yourself ? How many stitches ?
2.) Never tell anyone you ate a tube steak, those two words have a very differnt meaning to some.

Maybe some folks ..LOL...

#15 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

Got out and set 9 at one bait and 17 at the other . Not alot of sign but enough to set on . I put the others in past known travel locations
2 bags of deer scraps and bones at one and a road kill button buck at the other . I wore a set of heavy rain pants today to keep dry and I think it may help with scent control...heres a couple sets from today . I wont be real surprised if I draw a blank on first check Wednesday ,but am hopeful . Idk know I will have more trails to set tho and if they clean up the bait it will be perfect cause I know they will be back .
One big concern this year is the hi number of eagles around , them and ravens are bad news on caught dogs.
Tomorrow I will help my son Jordan set one of his baits ,gonna need his big quad to get in .b0dd75aec155a41c932197a9aaf06cd0.jpg35ca6184727397e84e8dcd4c702d5bec.jpg1b61a8d11885d174e5965d6c59950484.jpg

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:32 PM

Good luck. We’re pulling for you.
  • C2C likes this

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#17 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6773 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:54 AM

Good luck C2C...
  • C2C likes this

#18 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2171 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

First check this morning and wouldn't you know it ,I forgot my camera ..first of the year stone cold dead and no catch photo..very disturbance so reset was easy . Golden eagle on the bones and bait pile ,hope he minds his manners . A few tracks into the bait but just random ,no trails to set so.may have to move a little downstream . Rebaited with a fresh road killed bambi.
Second site I had a porcupine, should make the rancher happy .. a couple snares knocked down by deer but that all . Set another 6 snares on past catch spots .
Wind has changed to the north and temp dropping fast after a beautiful warm day so hopeful for skiff of snow . Check Jordan's tomorrow. Also picked up another piece of ground to snare so best check it out as well .eb8f3cfabff192a6be2790f4f95b91fa.jpg07c0725da281f6b291eea5e1fd63bab6.jpg7951bb6a5cd887094ee4157a72a9f8f7.jpg

#19 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3643 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

WTG Buddy---------off and running-----Congrats on your catch

• C2C likes this
CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#20 hassell