Ak. black bear hunt - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Ak. black bear hunt

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

My wife's cousin came up and we hunted black bear on the Yukon river.  Thanks to him for coming early to help with getting things ready to go.  We had to put a new axle under the trailer that we hauled the canoe and out board on.  We left Eagle River in the morning on a friday and arrived in Fairbanks in the afternoon and stopped by fish and game to register a bait site and found out they needed to know exactly were is was going to be so on we went.  We left Fairbanks  on Saturday morning and went to the Yukon river bridge to go up river and find a site, first load was camping gear and we spent the night and found a place to camp and set the bait station.  On Sunday we hauled up a load of bait and barrel up and set things up to have a spot.  On Monday we drove back 4 hrs. to the bridge and then Fairbanks to register the site.  On Tueasday we got back to the site and post the sing for the station.  That night we start setting on the station, there is enough daylight to set over night and be able to see the site.  One of the biggest thing s we had to deal with was the mosquitas, they were bad and they restricted our activity to the tent and netting set up under a fly and the blind.  They were so bad the first night that it was a contious assualt for the whole night.  We dug out the therma cells and then things got better, we could sleep better and sitting in the blind was better but night after night we were not getting hit and we stuck at it.  Some other hunters came by and they were not doing any good either.  So we decide to set out a firday day night and then pack up and head back to the bridge.  We were heading down stream and what happens but a black bear swims past the boat and climbs out on the shore and walks away.  We had packed the rifles away and did not try to get to them and just watched the whole thing happen, I figured that you call it hunting and not getting something.  We saw a moose swim across in front of us, as well an eagle in the water that was able to gett to shore and then take off after the ravens started bothering it, a golden eagle, beaver musk rats, fox and lots of geese and other birds. 

In all it was a good trip that a will remember and think before doing it again.  My next black bear hunt is for the fall of 2020 down of Prince of Wales island in southeast.

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22841 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

Congrats on a nice hunt knapper. Thanks for sharing your story.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6055 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:04 AM

Lots of work there, Barry.  Dang skeeters.  Don't tell me you took the "new" .45-70 Marlin.  

Now you know the routine and will be prepared a little better next time around.

#4 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2189 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

I will probaly not go up there again but, I will continue to hunt black bear.  They are one of my favorite animals to hunt.  Glen that one stayed home this time and I am glad it did due to the abuse of that type of trip on the rifles.  There was lots of dust/dirt on the ground that got stirred up due to having been high water earlier this year.  There has been a fire through the area a few years ago and the alders have taken over making it tough to see thru and get thru.

#5 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11766 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:29 AM

Sounds like quite the adventure.

#6 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6750 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

It sure sounds like a adventure... enough to throw in the towel. ๐Ÿ˜ Better luck next time.

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6055 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

Can you hunt bears legally in the fall?

A friend of mine, Fast Frank, slow cooked a bear roast over the barbeque.  Best meat ever! 

Anyone that didn't like bear meat, had a bad cook, or some other malfunction.  Like anything else.  Gotta know what your doing.

#8 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11766 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

Spot and stalk or don't you have good hill sides to hunt & glass ?

#9 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2189 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

There had been a fire through the area a few years ago and it was all alders and not much high ground.  The shooting land we did have was real narrow but, would have gotten a bear if it had its head in the bait barrel.  In the past I have done spot and stalk as well as wait for them to come along a trail but there was not much hope for either of those methods.

#10 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3621 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your time in the Bush------Congrats-Enjoyed your story-----------------

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#11 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2189 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

Thanks guys it is hard for me to write what I want to say and get it in order.  It was an adventure that is sure.

#12 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

Sounds like fun thanks for sharing

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

โ€‹the working man's game call

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users