Getting ready for this year's big game season. - Big Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Getting ready for this year's big game season.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

Kentucky Longrifle in .50 that I built.  I pulled a Doe tag and a Elk Cow tag for muzzle-loader season this year.  I am excited. 

26H4lp1.jpgvgSpXV1.jpg

The barrel was "plum browned" rather than blued.  The stock was dipped in behren's cherry solution and then had 3 coats of tang oil finish applied.  The brass was hand brushed over a period of a few weeks to give it a light green patina with a vinegar solution.  Right now, I can shoot a 240gr solid lead conical and hit a coffee can repeatedly at 100 yards.  That's minute of elk/deer in my book. 

I figured that I had taken animals with high power long range firearms with high magnification optics.  It was time for me to do it the hard and more traditional way. 

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6750 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

Good luck...! Shortgunfightermomo

#3 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 11766 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

Nice looking rig, will be a fun hunt.

#4 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3266 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

congrats and good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#5 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6056 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Something to look forward to.  Wondering why you settled on corrosive Pyrodex instead of a non-sulfur powder.  Too advanced for the rig?

#6 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

Something to look forward to.  Wondering why you settled on corrosive Pyrodex instead of a non-sulfur powder.  Too advanced for the rig?

No, the pyrodex was given to me.  So I figured I would use it. Is there something better that I should look into? 

#7 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Good luck...! Shortgunfightermomo

Geez.....better late than never AZP....

#8 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6056 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

No, the pyrodex was given to me.  So I figured I would use it. Is there something better that I should look into? 

I use Pyrodex in a cannon and that's it. Condition of bore doesn't matter.  

With muzzleloaders and Pyrodex, you would be required to test from a clean bore - shot after shot.  Like black powder, Pyrodex is sulfur based and is highly corrosive and tends to build up quickly in the bore if not cleaned between shots.  Unlike a smokeless firearm, you could never leave it dirty after shooting, either.  If you don't clean between shots, your pressure will rise and your shots will string.

Hodgdon's Triple Seven is a black powder substitute that is non-corrosive.  You still get the smoke but no stench and no worries if you don't get to cleaning right away.  I used to use the loose powder and it may still be a good idea for you.  Now, I use the pellets with my modern smoke pole.  The stuff is still pretty dirty and extended sessions may require breech plug cleaning (if you have a plug.)  But, it will shoot as hot as you choose.  Loose powder will let you experiment more with charges, if you wish; pellets are simple and great afield for the dreaded follow-up shots.

There are other substitutes, but I haven't found the velocity in like charges to match the Triple Seven.

#9 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Great looking smoke pole triple 7 loose in 3fggg is the charge to use in her pellets will not work good in a side lock you’ll get hang fires miss fires maybe if you upgraded to a musket cap but I wouldn’t I’ve shot side locks for over 30 years one other thing when you clean it just use hot soapy water and flush out with the hottest water you can get get the barrel hot this set it muzzle down let it dry out and lube it with bore butter don’t use gun oil good luck fill the freezer up

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#10 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3621 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

Good LUCK Hunting-------Very Nice BP Rifle----------svb

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#11 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6056 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:39 AM

Just gotta be careful with fffg, because it's not as coarse as ffg, and will weigh much more than the same volume as ffg.  

#12 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Glenway you don’t weigh black power charges in a muzzle loader I hope you know and Hodgdon recommends reducing max charge by 10% 3fggg burns way cleaner than 2fgg and go’s off immediately no hang fire

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#13 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3266 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

I use American fff in both my long gun and my revolver. love it. Like Pokey said. BP is by volume.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users