Hungry Rabbits - Varmint & Small Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Hungry Rabbits

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6462 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:33 AM

• I’ve been feeding birds for over 60 years and sometimes other critters get in on the fast food, too.  I learned yesterday, while talking to a falcon handler/owner that some of the birds of prey will only take feathered suckers.  Yep, that’s the kind of hawks I get taking advantage of hapless doves.  These hawks are Cooper’s Hawks.  So, that’s why my red squirrel buffet that I put out for them last week remained untouched.  Right next to the squirrels another dove bit the dust.

• Anyway, my early morning routine involves getting feed out before the birds show up.  But, yesterday I did my morning alert – a chickadee call that I whistle – and here comes a cottontail rabbit running under the pine boughs toward me from afar.  It ended up mere feet from my feet and it began crunching breakfast right then and there.

•  

• So, today I called out again and sure enough, one rabbit came to me.  I then went inside to watch from the garage window and seven more joined the party.  I went out to take a picture and all but one stayed close, although I could see many more about me.  The second pic - although a bit dark with light snow falling – shows faintly some of the other rascals, as I knelt in the feed.

•  

• Yeah, it’s rabbit season, but it sure wouldn’t be hunting.

(Sorry about those dang dots in the margin of the text above, but I couldn't make them go away.)

Attached Files

#2 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3654 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

WTG Glen------------------Yep!! my Bunnies come up on my deck to feed---Wildlife is sure fun to watch-------------svb

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#3 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Ya they ring a lot of trees during winter, tough if you have any fruit trees nearby.

#4 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

Learned that the hard way, Rick.  All my fruit trees are protected.    As long as they don't nibble on my toes, should be fine.

#5 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:06 PM

Cool pictures

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#6 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:24 AM

Thanks, Pokey.  The whole scene was repeated this morning.  I had two of them near me - within a few feet - but, only the one fearless one was at my feet chomping away.

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY !

https://m.youtube.co...lient=mv-google

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#8 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

There was a rather mean one this morning.  Not good playing with others and rather greedy.

Not quite that violent, though.

#9 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3654 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

Watch out for this Guy Glen

svb

Attached Files

• Attached File  Fox.jpg   191.75KB   3 downloads

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:56 AM

He’s gonna get scopeye.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#11 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:40 AM

That's what I saw, YD, until I noticed the empty chamber.  Length of pull seems a bit off, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users