fall turkey season here in Mn - Big Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

fall turkey season here in Mn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3782 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

part two:

i went back out saturday afternoon by my self after my son got his bird cleaned and headed back home to Brainerd Mn.

i had no luck at all saturday afternoon,but went back to the same spot on sunday before sunup.

shortly after sunup the remaing birds from the small flock that my son took the jake from popped out of the woods in the same spot again.

they spotted my set up,but today they were wiser than the day before.they went right back into the woods and werent seen again the rest of the day.

well sunday wasnt a good day of hunting,but it was still better than being at home in front of the tv and much better than being at work.

today(tuesday) i didnt have to work so once again i headed back out to where my buddys son lives and got there about 45 minutes before sunup.

i set up in a different field in hopes it would be better luck.
shortly after sup up i see birds flying down from roos into the field that i am set up in,but they are about 250 yards away.

they walk across the field to another patch of trees and i see more fly down.they meandered around for about an hour but kept there distance from my set up.back into the trees they went.

i was bit disappointed but also am patient. stayed in my blind and just waited and played with the farm cat that came out to my blind.

at about 9:45 am they popped back out of the woods,closer now.only about 145 yards away.i watched them thru my binoculars and counted 19 birds,mostly hens.no worries as its legal to shoot hens in the fall here in mn.

they very very slowly started come into my 2 decoys that i had out.

once they got to about 80 yards,two birds broke from the flock and started running right towards me.one of which was a jake.

as he was running in he went into half strut.

i brought my 935 mag turkey gun with the eotech on it today.
the one i named mother(in honor of my mom who passed away at the beginning of the spring turkey season this year)
never hunted with it before,but have shot it at the range.

when the jake got to about 25 yards,i put the reticle on him and him and squeezed the trigger.

what the heck,i missed.so i squeezed off another round as he was running away-MISSED again.hes still running so i place the reticle on him one more time and moved the trigger back and let mother holler once again-BIRD DOWN BIRD DOWN!!!!

cant believe i missed twice,but glad i finally was able to put him down,and at 52 yards away with the final shot.

so we got our fall tags filled,two jakes.
some good eating to be had now.

the whole time i was out there alone today,i was thinking of my mom.i miss her so much.im not to proud to let you all know that after i put that bird down i did cry a little bit thinking of my mom.i know she was with me in spirit today.
she always said she would have liked to go turkey hunting with me,which is why i named my new gun "mother".
now she gets to go turkey hunting every year with me.

thanks Mom.i miss you and love you.

Attached File  IMG_20181006_095026276.jpg   593.72KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20181009_103227293.jpg   646.87KB   2 downloads

thanks for reading

p.s.

i know theres no good excuse for missing.but it was my first time hunting with this new gun and with this type of sight system. so please be gentle on me lol

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22840 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, our condolences to you and your family.

No ribbing from me on the misses, we all have either done it or become good liars. lol

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6053 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

Great read, Sneaky!  I was going to ask you how you like the EOTech sight (I have one on my shotgun, too, and love it) but maybe the jury's still out.  That's a pretty good poke at 52 yards.  What ammo did you use?  At least you got the bird, which is highly unlikely with the ol' stick and string.

#4 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3621 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:10 AM

SORRY about your Mom--- Our Prayers and Condolences to you and your family----------Congrats on your  turkey---------------------------------------------------------------------------svb

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#5 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

Great read, Sneaky!  I was going to ask you how you like the EOTech sight (I have one on my shotgun, too, and love it) but maybe the jury's still out.  That's a pretty good poke at 52 yards.  What ammo did you use?  At least you got the bird, which is highly unlikely with the ol' stick and string.

Glen, i like the sight system,but i needed to add a cheek riser to the gun. even after putting the largest shim in the stock,that came with the gun i still needed to lift my head from the stock to get a sight picture.them eotech sit awfully high.

i got a Beartooth comb raising kit,works wonderfully.

i use the winchester longbeard xr 3 1/2" #5 ammo,along with a carlsons long beard xr choke. when i went out this summer and patterned the gun and sight the eotech in,i was highly impressed with what this gun can do with that combo.60 yards and the pattern is still acceptable enough to take a ethical shot.its the same combo i use in my 835 ulti mag,but the 835 does a tad bit better with that combo.

with the stick and string i dont like shooting past 25 yards,them birds are hard enough to kill with a scatter gun,and bow is even more challenging,but also more fun.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#6 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

thanks every one for your condolences and your congratulations

just so y'all know why i havent been around much this year.

not only did my mom pass and my brother and i have had to deal with her estate(house finally sold)

but 47 days after my mom passed my wifes mother also passed away.

so this year has not been a good one for us.

but we keep on keeping on

Thomas Jefferson

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 22840 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

You have had a tough year Tim. Please express our condolences to your wife and her family. I'm sure that your next year will be a better one. Just remember you have friends here if you need us.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again..

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

RIP Chris Miller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users