Not in My Extended Yard, Either! - Varmint & Small Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Not in My Extended Yard, Either!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6462 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

Went out early for a last-chace crow hunt with Bullwinkle.  We were too well hidden to get off a shot for the first wave.  But, I managed to get a curious one by iteself on my second shot at it.  The second bird was also a loner and I missed on the first two moderately long shots and gave the third shot more lead.  Dropped it like a lawn dart estimated at 50 yards.

That was the only crow action, but I grabbed 2 turnips to demonstrate how well the plot has turned out (left side of picture).

Gun is a Browning Silver 12 ga.  3 1/2-inch chamber, Eotech, 1 1/8 to 1 1/4-oz. 8s, or 9s, full choke.

Nice crisp 46 degrees this morning and glad hunting season has begun.  Had enough heat and humidity.

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

Are you ever going to try the feathers? I am telling you the truth. We had 100+ crows circling the yard going crazy at sunrise... a little pile of feathers from a couple of ducks and a goose we cleaned the night before. They kinda blew around the yard a little. The crows we going nuts.

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

Went out early for a last-chace crow hunt with Bullwinkle.  We were too well hidden to get off a shot for the first wave.  But, I managed to get a curious one by iteself on my second shot at it.  The second bird was also a loner and I missed on the first two moderately long shots and gave the third shot more lead.  Dropped it like a lawn dart estimated at 50 yards.

That was the only crow action, but I grabbed 2 turnips to demonstrate how well the plot has turned out (left side of picture).

Gun is a Browning Silver 12 ga.  3 1/2-inch chamber, Eotech, 1 1/8 to 1 1/4-oz. 8s, or 9s, full choke.

Nice crisp 46 degrees this morning and glad hunting season has begun.  Had enough heat and humidity.

Attached Files

#4 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

Good stuff way to get after them

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

Them are some healthy turnips, not so much for the crows. Nice shooting !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#6 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Everything looking green and healthy except the crows.

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:09 AM

Eric, if I could get my hands on a mess of feathers, I'd try your trick. 

We just don't have that many crows around to pull in 100 at a time, but the setup used yesterday worked well:  one owl, 3 crows - one in motion - a dead ground squirrel and imitation fur.  Pulled them in at the one hideout several times.  The only way I ever kill a bunch of crows is to move the trick site to different areas.  It usually works once or twice, then it's over and we gotta move again.

Yesterday, we just went out back for some quick action before we started a work detail.

Yeah, still green but leaves are starting to fall and so are apples.  Those turnips were taken from a patch that was planted a bit early (July), as far as our food plots go.  They've already matured but another area is still growing.  Beets are still quite small but will grow for months yet - even after snow.

Archery deer starts Oct. 1, so I'll shut down all the varmint hunting, etc.  But, coyotes are still taken as "targets of opportunity" anytime.  They get quite active once gut piles hit the ground, so it's fairly common to get some chances just being out there and ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users