Not in My Backyard! - Varmint & Small Game Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Not in My Backyard!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6462 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Noticed some rather large holes dug under my outdoor furnace today, as I was prepping it for what is to come.  Too big for ground squirrels and only a few feet away from my wood pile.  So, I started keeping an eye on the area from the house and spotted this groundhog. 

Grabbed my Ruger 10/22 from the safe, which was already sighted in with Lapua sub-sonic Center X 40-grain solids.  Snuck around a shed for a rest off the side of it and saw the bugger running off with an apple in its mouth.  A clean kill at 38.9 yards and set out as chum for the yotes.  Weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces, about average for an adult 'chuck.

Attached Files

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:43 PM

He had it coming to him.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#3 Mark Steinmann

Mark Steinmann

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:55 PM

Nice! Now for the Coyote...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#4 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

Nice whistle pig get that Yote fattened up trapping season coming

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#5 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

Some good eating there, Congrats..

#6 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

Nice job on schwacking the whistle pig. 

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:42 AM

Ate a few in my day and fed them to people that could wrap their minds around the idea.  Here in the North, people turn up their noses, but little do they know how good the meat actually is.  Being total vegetarians, the meat is on the order of rabbit, but like most wild game, it's all in the prep.  I like to par-boil them for about an hour then bake 'em, fry 'em, barbeque 'em, or whatever your preference.  I've also put the meat in chili or used a slow-cooking crockpot.  

No special sauces needed to disguise anything.   And, contrary to popular thinking, big ones to me are more desirable than small ones.  If I'm gonna skin one out, it may as well be worth my time.

Down South in West Virginia, my friends there really cherished them for table fare.  And, nobody down there looks at you like you're nuts if you mention eating them.  Up here, you get the one-eye.

If you have a little time and want a good chuckle, here's a link to a piece I wrote a few years back after a groundhog hunt  in West Virginia:  http://thinkingafiel...in the wildwood

P.S. The opening lines came to mind from a bluegrass song my buddy, Steve, was singing named Salty Dog Blues.  I was driving home when the words came to me and pulled over to let my wife drive, while I wrote down the twisted version.

#8 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:12 AM

When I was in Ohio many moons ago, squirrel season was just ending and ground hog just starting - lots of locals getting excited.

#9 Larry

Larry

Trapper and caller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the Mississippi River and the Colorado Foothills

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:39 AM

HOG ON!

Bring that .300 Winchester Mag over here and don't spare the horsepower.  Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 200 grain'ers are not big enough for these property destroyers. Heck Ill make you a bag out of a jean leg too!

And to hell with eating them....

Oh look he saw his shadow...6 months of winter coming when they see them this late! Not only do they ruin a guys property they bring on terrible winters...the little bastards!

I hate them...a family group ruined my garage floor slab that is 24 x 40!  Not a lie either!  

Attached File  Glen.jpg   124.98KB   3 downloads

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH : "you know it's going to be a bad day when you crossthread the cap on the toothpaste!"

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

Nice write up on the hogs in WV Glen. I've been there a few times and the people are very friendly. Some of their womens are friendly too !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#11 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

Larry, just give me the coordinates and I should be able to lob one into that rascal from here.

Thanks, YD.  That "Hog On" piece was always one of my favorites and I sent a newspaper edition to my buddy, Steve, so he could share it with the "loafers."  That's what he called his retired pals at the local restaurant, where they'd meet each morning for breakfast.

First time there, ol' Steve introduces me to the clan by pointing at me, as we came through the door and this is all he said, "300 Win Mag, 110-grain V-Max, 3775 feet per second."  Not my name.  Just those words. 

Boy, I got along just fine with that bunch.  Those boys spoke the language.

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

LOL....I've heard a lot of WV hunter stories from my ex-wifes father. He's been gone for several years now and I still laugh when I remember some of his antics.He was a good ol boy who I wish I had hunted with more. RIP Roger

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#13 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

We hunted something, be it groundhogs, crows, coyotes, or deer.  Fished, too.  It was always taken for granted that we'd do something, depending on what I packed.  Did that for over 20 years but not the past three years.  He was starting to have trouble walking, so activities were limited.

Steve's a fiddler in a Bluegrass band, which was having technical difficulties at the Vandalia Gathering, Charleston, WV (in the background).  Up to the mic he steps to occupy a little time with the crowd:

#14 Larry

Larry

Trapper and caller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the Mississippi River and the Colorado Foothills

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:32 AM

Send them to the corner of Bever AVE and Trailridge RD...52403.   

Glen... you should post separate about Steve and your time with him. I say this as I feel the gang on PT is being cheated if you don't. Yes I am still smiling.

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH : "you know it's going to be a bad day when you crossthread the cap on the toothpaste!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users