Fox Calling - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Calling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BuckDown2110

BuckDown2110

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Hi predator hunters, Im a fox hunter from PA and Im somewhat of a rookie at fox calling and hunting. I was wondering How long I should call for? And also How long should I wait between calls till I call again?

#2 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

I am from PA originally.  When I was hunting back home, I would walk into the stand and sit for 5 minute, let things calm down a little while being still and quiet.  I would use platinum grey fox on my fox pro, or a rabbit distress/mouse squeaker mouth call.  I would call for a few minutes at a lower volume at first.  Then sit for a bit, then resume calling again.  Time on stand for me was about 15-20 minutes total but I have stretched out to 30 minutes.  Time on stand also depends on the terrain you are calling.  Depending on how far away they will come from and obstacles they need to navigate, it may take more time for them to get there.  When you get up from your stand, be slow about it and check behind you.  They are sneaky. 

#3 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

And welcome to PT!

#4 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12090 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

Good advice there and welcome to PT.

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Yep, good advice. Welcome to PredatorTalk

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#6 BuckDown2110

BuckDown2110

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

I am from PA originally.  When I was hunting back home, I would walk into the stand and sit for 5 minute, let things calm down a little while being still and quiet.  I would use platinum grey fox on my fox pro, or a rabbit distress/mouse squeaker mouth call.  I would call for a few minutes at a lower volume at first.  Then sit for a bit, then resume calling again.  Time on stand for me was about 15-20 minutes total but I have stretched out to 30 minutes.  Time on stand also depends on the terrain you are calling.  Depending on how far away they will come from and obstacles they need to navigate, it may take more time for them to get there.  When you get up from your stand, be slow about it and check behind you.  They are sneaky.

Do use grey fox call for red foxes?

#7 Mo Mo

Mo Mo

American Longrifle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Do use grey fox call for red foxes?

Yep.  It works for some reason.  Also bird sounds work too.

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

I've had pretty good luck using a high pitched cottontail hand call and just going easy on it, imitating a baby cottontail distress. they seem to like it.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#9 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7756 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Welcome to the PT forum!

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)