Calling and trapping greys. - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Calling and trapping greys.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FoxSlayer

FoxSlayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hey everyone. I live in Minnesota and love the outdoors. Don't know how many people are active on this app but I'd like to ask a few questions.
•I live near a river and creek and own about 60-60 acres. I know where the grey fox are living,(not on my land) but i was wondering when and where should I set up on this ridge overlooking a woods where they live? Midnight? 4Am? 6Pm?
•Trapping: I have been trapping since I was 11, (5 years now) and have caught em one red fox. I have gotten many coin and mink. But any tips on red and Grey would help.
•Also, I just got permission to hunt yotes on a piece of land that I know is full of em. I've seen lots of sign(driving by) and know their in there. Would you recommend vole squeaks or rabbit distress when I first hunt her.
Thanks everyone
Red fox:1/3
Grey: 0/5
Mink: 2/2
Muskrat: 3/3
Coon: 5-10/.

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Welcome to PredatorTalk FoxSlayer. I'd open up with vole squeaks to see if any are close by. They can hear it at a longer distance than most think. Call off and on for a bit and if that doesn't work go to distress. As for when ? anytime you can go legally. I've always found fox to be active early in the AM, but that's also when I go. Where would be dictated by the wind and your visibility so You'll have to pick a spot with a backdrop to hide your form. sit for a minute and then start calling. Be ready, sit still, shoot straight, take pics  ! !

Good luck

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#3 FoxSlayer

FoxSlayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Welcome to PredatorTalk FoxSlayer. I'd open up with vole squeaks to see if any are close by. They can hear it at a longer distance than most think. Call off and on for a bit and if that doesn't work go to distress. As for when ? anytime you can go legally. I've always found fox to be active early in the AM, but that's also when I go. Where would be dictated by the wind and your visibility so You'll have to pick a spot with a backdrop to hide your form. sit for a minute and then start calling. Be ready, sit still, shoot straight, take pics ! !

Good luck

Thanks buddy! Hey I will apply these and good to see some activeness on this forum!:)

#4 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7940 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:43 AM

I call Grey fox quite regular. I would suggest using  fox in distress sound. There is something special with it and fox, they just cant seem to ignore it. And usually more than one come in at the same time. The time of day doesnt seem to matter either.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#5 FoxSlayer

FoxSlayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

Okay, sweet! I just went out and got nothing...

#6 JTKillough

JTKillough

Magister Invisibilis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

Yup, great advice from both. They are small, quick and have a bad habit of popping up quite unexpected. Have a small caliber rifle, but keep the shotgun handy. If you bag one, be sure to go to the gray fox distress, you may get multiple fox, on one set.

Invisibility, the next best thing to not being there!

#7 FoxSlayer

FoxSlayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yup, great advice from both. They are small, quick and have a bad habit of popping up quite unexpected. Have a small caliber rifle, but keep the shotgun handy. If you bag one, be sure to go to the gray fox distress, you may get multiple fox, on one set.

YES! I always hunt with my trophy 11 .223 and shotgun, I have gone hunting and missed 2 fox with my .223 so I'm trying to break the barrier and get my first fox shot!- already got one trapped with a foothold...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users