First grizz - Page 2 - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com - Page 2

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

First grizz

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Glad you didn't leave skunked! Licenses there aren't cheap, not to mention all meat gets packed out first before the skull/antlers or you face big fines. Opportunity knocks but once---you answered with a bang! Good job! BTW if i remember correctly to harvest a brown bear or grizzly, you have to be guided. The only exception to that rule is for black bear. Also stuff like sheep, and goats have to be guided as well. Lots of regulations to trip up on, that's another reason for a guide.

A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#22 akiceman25

akiceman25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:24 AM

Glad you didn't leave skunked! Licenses there aren't cheap, not to mention all meat gets packed out first before the skull/antlers or you face big fines. Opportunity knocks but once---you answered with a bang! Good job! BTW if i remember correctly to harvest a brown bear or grizzly, you have to be guided. The only exception to that rule is for black bear. Also stuff like sheep, and goats have to be guided as well. Lots of regulations to trip up on, that's another reason for a guide.

Well I didn't leave. Lol I'm a resident here. No harvest tag required for grizzly so this one was a freebie.

Yes nonresidents need a guide for sheep and grizz/brown bears.

Appreciate your reply

#23 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Well I didn't leave. Lol I'm a resident here. No harvest tag required for grizzly so this one was a freebie.

Yes nonresidents need a guide for sheep and grizz/brown bears.

Appreciate your reply

Ahhh thats explains the AK in your nick. Not trying to hijack your thread but thought I'd share a part of my experience there ---here in your thread since you're from Alaska---it was great.

Have a friend who lives in Wasilla, he took me moose hunting sept 2014 on the Susitna river. I was able to harvest a younger bull of only 35 inches but he had 3 qualifying tines on his left brow tine. Heres a link to some pics of the camp I was at and set-up and the moose. http://www.predatort...wer-rant/page-2

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#24 akiceman25

akiceman25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

Nice bull (and camp!). Thanks for sharing.

When it comes to moose I rarely see the word 'only' when referring to it's rack size. Any moose down is an immense trophy... and a whole lot of work!

My most recent bull was a 1.5 year old spike/fork.. I 'only' got 400+ lbs of meat from him. See.. doesn't work. LOL!
82808d4518f23bdc32a6a370a7534ca3.jpg

Yes that's my house in the background lol

#25 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:25 PM

Nice bull (and camp!). Thanks for sharing.

When it comes to moose I rarely see the word 'only' when referring to it's rack size. Any moose down is an immense trophy... and a whole lot of work!

My most recent bull was a 1.5 year old spike/fork.. I 'only' got 400+ lbs of meat from him. See.. doesn't work. LOL!
82808d4518f23bdc32a6a370a7534ca3.jpg

Yes that's my house in the background lol

Thanks, and I as you could care less about racks etc... I've never been served up a plate of hot steaming ANTLERS lol.  And as you said it is a lot of work, I was lucky enough to drop him literally in his tracks--and that was apx 70 yards from the river---thank God! Took both Tom and his friend 6-1/2 trips to get all the meat and skull. I just had (3 weeks prior) an umbilical hernia surgery, so Tom wasnt having me do any lifting of the meat etc... didn't want me ripping stitches etc. He wouldn't even let me help clean him. He told me he had a job, I said sure anything--he said grab your rifle and stand on that log and keep your eyes open all around. I thought he was just trying to make me feel like I was helping in some way or patronizing me.

He explained when he saw the confused look, that when they open the bull up, the smell would draw in bears from up to a mile away, that were downwind like a dinner bell. I then started to actually "hunt" bear from my spot, as it made 100% sense, I knew it actually was important once he said that, as it was kind of grown up around us with trees and vegetation. He said he has cleaned moose before by himself, and that it is quite unnerving especially as you cant move them into an open area to clean them. So you have to clean right where dropped, and look around constantly and be quiet doing so to try to hear as well. Not to mention he would lean his 375 Ruger right on the moose as well as his 357 Colt Python on his chest holster (as pictured  in the camp pics). He mentioned one last thing that would have sounded a bit far fetched to many but not me, and that was that the bear actually in that area (16A) were accustomed to hearing the rifle shot and come towards it, associating it with a meal---as in downed game.

BTW, either you shot that right there or had a ton of help getting it loaded and moved there intact---so which is it LOL

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#26 akiceman25

akiceman25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

I shot that bull from my front porch wearing my pj's and house slippers. This was after spending 13 days in moose camp and getting skunked. Go figure..

Here's a video posted last week of a bear stealing a guys deer on Kodiak island. The initial shot is definitely a dinner bell in the coastal regions. It's not so common in interior Alaska.

https://youtu.be/27J2wxn2syU

#27 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

I shot that bull from my front porch wearing my pj's and house slippers. This was after spending 13 days in moose camp and getting skunked. Go figure..

Here's a video posted last week of a bear stealing a guys deer on Kodiak island. The initial shot is definitely a dinner bell in the coastal regions. It's not so common in interior Alaska.

Nice video, if you harvest a moose or deer there and a bear steals it before you had a chance to tag it, are you still legal to hunt another? And what about harvesting the bear? Seems if you had a bear tag/in season, that you get to stop the free meal. Or what if you tagged it and it gets stolen like that, are you SOL? What if your cleaning it and he comes in trying to take it---do you yield it to him or can you legally shoot to stop him if him comes towards you AND you dont have a tag/or isnt in season?

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#28 akiceman25

akiceman25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:01 PM

It's pretty well known here that if a bear is trying to steal your game you just let him have it. Things can go bad wayy to quickly.

Here's the law on DLP(Defense of Life or Property).

http://www.adfg.alas...bears.conflicts

To make it short. No you can't shoot a bear that's stealing your game meat unless that meat is essential to your survival.

Once you shoot your game your harvest tag is filled(we don't attach it to the animal here).. so basically a guy is SOL.

#29 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

It's pretty well known here that if a bear is trying to steal your game you just let him have it. Things can go bad wayy to quickly.

Here's the law on DLP(Defense of Life or Property).

http://www.adfg.alas...bears.conflicts

To make it short. No you can't shoot a bear that's stealing your game meat unless that meat is essential to your survival.

Once you shoot your game your harvest tag is filled(we don't attach it to the animal here).. so basically a guy is SOL.

What I highlighted of yours was mentioned in the link you posted. However its a bit ambiguous, considering if you are actually cleaning said game and one approaches. As you know yielding ground is akin to being prey, so then it boils down to who wants the meat more. There's no way I'm retreating from a bear or my game, who approaches-- because 9 out of 10 times he is right on you. Had one come into the camp you saw in my pics, a juvenile that hadn't learned about humans yet--3 times no less--I was there guarding after I got my moose, while Tom and his friend went to try for one themselves. He got to right about 15 yards from me when I popped a round in his direction with my pistol to scare him--he fortunately ran away, as after he turned I was then going for my rifle just out of reach from me (learned something that day). Tom my friend said they actually are a bigger threat as they haven't learned to FEAR us yet, have been kicked away from mom and because of that has to fend for himself. And that hunger with immaturity makes for a very brazen bear IMO. As the video you posted was showing, there was no danger to the humans--they were far enough away and he had his target sighted. But one coming to scent in through bushes and timber is probably trying to sneak in smelling the animal and possibly thinking he has to catch something live. In that scenario, he is ultimately quiet and stealthy in his approach. You wont see him until he could possibly charge and close the distance before you could work things up in your mind as to what to do. But yea my .270 was probably not the rifle to use in close quarters. BTW I did have to tag the moose as a non resident it was a metal thing? I'll look later and take a pic.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users