A Little Redemption - Fox - 7 Ed/Milt - 3 - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A Little Redemption - Fox - 7 Ed/Milt - 3

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7940 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

Well went back to Roosevelt Lake on Wed, had to pick up my small boat, It was getting the motor worked on. Cruised around the lake to check it out and then Thur. morning buddy and I tried fishing and a little calling from the shoreline on North side of lake. Only way to get there. But no luck on fishing or calling. Now for the redemption.

Fri morning we set up watching a draw that crossed a 4 wheel drive trail. If they came in from my right I would shoot and if they came in from the left my buddy would. At about 3 min I notice my buddy aiming his rifle, but not downward towards the wash, up on the hillside. I see a fox coming down. I get my scope on it and figure to let him fire first, I wait and wait. The fox starts to go sideways along the hill and then my buddy firs, MISS!!!  I quickly try anget on the fox but he keeps darting in and out of the brush. Finally he is over the top.  Fox - 1   Ed/Milt - 0

2nd stand, we setup on the side of a very large canyon, at about 50 yds from the bottom.  I turn e-caller on and in less than a minute I can hear a faint click and then the bolt on my buddy's AR cycle, and then a loud "Son of a B.....".   A fox showed up just 30 ft below him and he had forgot to chamber a round, lol  I signaled him to stay put and let the caller play. In just a few minutes I spot another Grey working along side the other side of the canyon at about 200 + yds. He jumped on top of two different  large rocks and would sit and stare towards the bottom. he finally started down as I followed him. Just before he reached the bottom , he stopped.  My 22 mag fires and DRT.  I continue to let the call run and suddenly I hear my buddys AR fire. Another Grey had come up the canyon bottom and my buddy got him also.  Fox Fox - 1     Ed/Milt - 2

Attached File  GEDC0912.JPG   193.9KB   6 downloads

3rd stand, We setup near a spring at the bottom of the same canyon about a mile up the canyon. Start the e-caller and at about 5 min I see a Grey coming down the opposite hill side and before I can raise my rifle Bang !!  fox down.  I let the caller play a couple minutes and then change the sound, no more than 30 seconds a Grey pops up and runs straight at the caller hanging in a tree, again just as I raise my gun, Bang !!!  fox takes off running and I get one shot going up the other side but a clean miss.   Fox -1   Ed/Milt - 1

Attached File  GEDC0910.JPG   402.73KB   7 downloads

Forth stand, we drive up the mountain and down into another draw, theres a large water tank that the rancher pumps water from to out laying small concrete tanks. We decide to walk up the bottom a few hundred yds and set up.  Again we setup up where I would see fox coming from one way in the draw and Milt would see them from the other direction. I look at my watch and its been 10 min and think well nothing is coming in.  I can see Milt raise his gun directly above us on the mountain side and theres a very small Grey no bigger than a tree squirrel peering over the cliff looking down towards the caller. I watch as my buddy lowers his rifle and looks at me and lowers one hand to the other, indicating to small. We both watch the fox and it seems like forever, so we stand up and it blasts back into the brush. Fox -1   Ed/Milt -0

We make one more stand and nothing shows and its about 11 am so we figure to go back to camp and pack up.

The Bobcat never showed up and the way the weather is warming up at Roosevelt, I doubt I will call again there. It got close to 80 deg on Fri and the pelts arent going to be any good very soon. But 7 Fox called in the first four stands is very good as far as I am concerned. we really should have had a shotgun gun along, which probably would have gotten a couple more, and of course the one  Milt hadnt chambered a round, lol

Believe me I gave him hell, lol

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

Congrats Ed, sounds like you had a great time...

#3 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Great day for sure PW!

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#4 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12090 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

Congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt.

#5 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

Thanks guys, one thing for sure a .223 is to big for fox !!

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#6 Mark Steinmann

Mark Steinmann

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great time!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#7 jimmy shutt

jimmy shutt

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

good read Ed, you guy's had a great time and it sure sounds like a lot of targets to shoot at......good calling and good times nothing better than that!!!

If it isn't dangerous it won't be much fun!

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like you had a great day. Roosevelt is a great place for wildlife.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#9 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

Thanks guys, I forgot to say we called coyotes once it got dark and had a couple within 50 yds of camp. We could see their complete bodies with our flashlights.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#10 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3682 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:35 AM

Those greys can be tuff to hit sometimes when they get to be-bop'in through the brush.

Sounds like you two had a great time.

What grain bullet are you shoot'in in your .22 mag?.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#11 Tuffdaddy

Tuffdaddy

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

Good times Ed! Nice work on the greys.

#12 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

Well done sir. Nice write up too. Here, it is 6 below this morning.... Suppose to be a high of 7. I'd kill for almost 80 lol.
Formerly itzDirty

#13 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

cat, I dont know what grain they are. I have had these since back in the 80's. I have another box that is newer and they are 40 gr but fmj. The box in the pic doesnt say any where on it what they are. I will pull a bullet and weigh it. I need to know so when I find some 22 mag I can get the same. They shoot great out of the old Marlin 788.

Attached File  GEDC0915.JPG   45.82KB   2 downloads

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#14 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:04 AM

I am surprised no one has asked what sounds I use for fox, lol

I use the special Burham Bros Yellower Hammer Head Woodpecker cassette that my son recorded in his studio and changed to mp3 for 5 min and then always switch to a fox distress. That is exactly how I called when the triple came in. The first one came to the woodpecker and when the second one set on the second rock I switched to distress and that brought the other 2 in. My best distress sound is one I recorded from you tube of a Marten and Grey fox fighting. I removed the Marten sounds with Audacity and kept only the Grey's screaming. From what I have noticed the screams are what they respond to more than the growls that are on most fox distress sounds.

Another buddy of mine is always hunting them with his son and he uses bay bee cottontail, I would say we call 3 to their one, but he is stubborn and says distress has been used to much on fox, lol

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#15 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Ed, I use to have a record from the original Burnham Brothers, I bet that woodpecker sound from them works well. I have talked to the new owner of Burnham Brothers, Gary Roberson he's one of the nicest people I've ever talked to... I bet them Grey's had some fat on them.

#16 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3647 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Enjoyed your hunt ED Congrats on your Kills----sb

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#17 catcapper

catcapper

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3682 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

I'm run'in the CCI Maxi-Mag 30gr JHP+V through my Ithaca 72. They claim 2200fps and are suppose to be the Mags varmit round. I've been pretty happy with them for fox and cats on shots out past twenty yards. Their exit can be a bit ruff on hides at closer range.

When I use an e-call, I have real good results with red bellied flicker. The fox up in this country seem to come in at a fairly fast pace, and will pull cats in too. The nice thing about this sound is--- the coyotes tend to ignore it most of the time so its easier to target spotted fur.

:pawprint: 

"All Wild Things"

#18 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

I just ordered some CCI 30 gr Speer TNT rounds, all I could find. I still plan on pulling a bullet just to see what grain these are, that I have. The ones I have have worked well out to 80+ yds on fox, havent shot a bobcat with the 22 mag in years. The ones I have shot lately have been with the .204

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#19 catcapper

catcapper

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3682 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

This is a 30gr. JHP+V that I removed from a bobcat shot at 50 yards. The bullet was placed just behind the shoulder and through the lungs. The bullet did not exit and stopped on the far side of entry.

Notice how well the bullets jacket stayed together and the even mushrooming--- all within 4-4 1/2 inches of penetration.

Folks I've talked with say good things of the TNT rounds and they seem to be a bit easier to locate than the +V rounds.

Let us know how they work out for ya on your next fox trip PW.

Attached Files

"All Wild Things"

#20 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Ok, I weighed a bullet from my old rounds. It weighed 40 grs. When I got home the new 30 gr TNT rounds were at the front door, now I need to get out and see how they shoot.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users