Fox Weekend (Fox - 4 Ed - 2) - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Weekend (Fox - 4 Ed - 2)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7940 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Well my buddy asked me to go with him on his Ham Javelina hunt, thats Handgun, Archery or Muzzleloader. We left  Thursday morning and got to Roosevelt Lake around noon, setup his fifth wheel trailer and decided to go out scouting as Fri was opening morning. While going down one steep hillside in his Ranger, I told him that the draw on my side should have fox in it. He asked if I wanted to call, I replied yes. We pulled off the small road and setup. I walked down to the bottom where the draw crossed the road and set my Scorpion just off the trail at about 50 yds below where we had decided to sit. At about 3 min in I hear my buddy whisper, "right in front of us" ( I was looking up at the hillside. I slowly turn and look down toward the caller, nothing. Then I suddenly see a grey standing 20ft in front of us right on the trail. My first mistake was that I layed the shotgun on my left side and as I reached for it the fox saw me and ran. So I set the shotgun back down and my buddy again, says "another one" I look back toward the trail and another grey is standing on the edge of the trail but quickly turns and runs back in the brush.  Fox - 2  Ed - 0

Next morning we leave for him to start hunting Javelina. On the long climb up the mountain he had decided to hunt, he says "man that draw has a lot of rocks, maybe a bobcat"  I quickly asked him if he wanted me to call, his reply was "YES, I dont care if I get a Javelina anyway" Again we pull off the trail and I walk down and set my call in the bottom. After playing my special woodpecker sound for about 5 min, I switched to a fox distress. At nine minutes per the timer on my remote, a grey jumps out of the brush. I quickly get on him with my old Marlin 788 micro groove in 22 mag and DRT. I hear my buddy say, "I was squeezing on the trigger when you shot, lol"   The rest of the day went by with no Javelina seen, but plenty of sign.

Fox - 2   Ed - 1

Saturday morning we head out going up the same mountain, once on top. My buddy says he was going to walk along the ridge to our right and told me if I wanted to call, go ahead.  I waited until he got about 400 yds down the ridge and I started walking off to the left side of the ridge and down towards the bottom. I see a place where two draws comes together and decide to try calling. I place the e-caller on one side facing where they intersected. I turn it on and suddenly I see a grey heading my way along the opposite hillside. He is about 200 yds out and just trotting towards the call. As he reaches a small bunch of cedar trees, I figure he will use them and head downward to the call, that is directly across from the trees. Suddenly he pops out, only a few feet from where he entered the trees and looks like he sets down. I have the scope on him and figured he wasnt coming any closer, so I fire and DRT. I walk over to get him and see why he stopped. He took a crap right there, LOL

Fox - 2    Ed - 2

After a few hrs my buddy returns and we go back to camp to get some lunch. So we head out that evening and we park his Ranger again and walk a few hundred yds and start glassing for Javelina. After an hour my buddy again says he is going to head off walking and asked if I would bring the Ranger down the road in about an hour to pick him up. I said sure no problem. I will try and call right here after he was gone and things settled down. After about 15 min I decide to place the e-caller down in the wash below where we had been glassing. I turn the e-caller on and start scanning the hillside. I look up towards the rim rock and see sonething moving. I get my scope on it and its a grey running hard and fast. I lower my rifle and watch as it comes in. Its running faster than I had ever seen one come in and at about 100 yds I decide to stop the e-caller to slow it down. Well as soon as the sound stopped he did too. I quickly think I screwed up and get the scope on it. Just as I get the cross hairs on him I see another fox come into view also. This excites me, thinking I am going to get a double. Well I hurried the shot and missed !!!! Both fox turn and head back up the hillside, I tried another shot, but again a miss. I set ther and watched both fox run all the way back up to the rim rock where they came from.   F0x - 4  Ed - 2

I look at my watch and walk back to the Ranger and wait for awhile before heading down the trail to get my buddy.  When I did pick him up, he said " you got to come see this"  we walk a few hundred yards to another little trail and he pointed down at the ground, Bobcat tracks and lots of them !!!

As we head back to camp he asks me if I want to come back next week when he did. Of course I replied, Yes

Now the bad news, I hadnt taken a stretcher, so I froze both fox in the freezer of his trailer. As we loaded up Sunday morning to come home, he set the small plastic bag of the 2 fox on the steps of his trailer.  I grabbed it, not thinking and threw it into the garbage can that we would dump on our way out, It was my 2 fox !!!!!!!  I also hadnt brought a camera, so no pics.  I dont realize this until home and I call my buddy up and ask him if he got the fox out of the freezer. He replies, "Yes, I set them on the steps so you could put them in your ice chest"   DUHHHH !!!!!!!

Well we plan to go back this week and I can assure you, I will have a camera and some stretchers with me !!! But if anyone wants to call me out and say it didnt happen because no pics, Its alright with me !!!! I would like to forget about it !!!

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#2 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thats a bummer, Ed.  Good calling anyway.  Good luck next week.

Formerly itzDirty

#3 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Well congratulations Ed on your successful fox hunting trip! I believe you! That's a bummer they got mixed up with the trash. Ed, if you want to help with the USDA rabies study I'll give you the phone number, they want the head removed from the shoulder and frozen. They will send you a styrofoam container with ice packs and a return label. I have the ladies personal cell phone number, and I am sure she would send you a kit in the mail, it's contains gloves, bags, tweezers and a cyrovial to put any ticks you find in... Just let me know.
Congrats again! You'll get more.

#4 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

Sure Eric, give me the info.  No ticks, but they had some fleas but not really bad. I need to remember the tick/flea spray also !!

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#5 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

Sure Eric, give me the info.  No ticks, but they had some fleas but not really bad. I need to remember the tick/flea spray also !!

Ok Ed, I'll call her at 9:00 am. and ask her if it's ok to give you her personal phone number. Maybe JTK or some other AZ guys will participate.

#6 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12090 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

Congrats, thanks for the writeup.

#7 jimmy shutt

jimmy shutt

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

great read, plenty of action, bad luck at the end......going back for more, good luck standing by for more great stories from your adventures..

If it isn't dangerous it won't be much fun!

#8 Mark Steinmann

Mark Steinmann

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Bummer on tossing them by accident, but sounds like it was a great trip! Bring that camera this weekend so you can get pictures of the monster Tom Bobcat you will be giving a dirt nap!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#9 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 3647 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Good Story ED--- :biggrin: don't forget the camera this weekend---Dang Golden Years LOL  Thanks for sharing your hunt Buddy

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#10 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:39 AM

Whats worse, I had my scales and weighed both fox. Planned on a guess the weight contest.

I never have weighed a fox before, I thought they would be 8-10 lbs. These 2 weighed way less and the lightest one looked larger. I searched the net and it says 7 lb to 15 lb.

Fox 1 - 4lbs 14 oz - female

Fox 2 - 5lbs 4 oz - female

Mark, I will sure be trying for a Bobcat. Where all the tracks were, there were 3 different sizes.

Skip, why they ever started calling the later years Golden, sure beats me !!!!

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#11 Boxerboxer

Boxerboxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

That seems crazy! My two cats are between 10 and 12 lbs and they are not big by any stretch - smaller than the few foxes I've seen in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users