.22LR for fox - Fox Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

- - - - -

.22LR for fox

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

No cons if you use it within it's limits IMO

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

As long as it shoots where you meant the bullet to go, yes ! Do you have magazine limits for hunting ?

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#3 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6792 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Get some Barnes Varmint Grenades

#4 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3682 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

For years, my main call'in rifle is a Ruger 10/22 with 22 stingers loaded in the mag. Don's advise is strait up--- a .22LR used within its limits and shot placement will take fox and not do much damage to the fur.

The only time I grab the AR anymore is when I get an open range ADC coyote clean up and I'm get'in paid pre head.

No mag caps on furbearers here in Commierado--- but be careful folks--- there are caps for big game.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Get some Barnes Varmint Grenades

Are you loading them ?

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#6 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

I have taken fox with a 22lr back when we had rimfire restrictions during deer season and/or at night. I'd prefer to hunt with the .223 for the extra range even at the risk of ruining some fur. It's hard to wait of those skittish reds when with every step it looks like they might dart away.
Formerly itzDirty

#7 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

Are you loading them ?

I am going to Don, I have a box of 36 gr. Varmint Grenades. I was @ sportsmen's today and almost bought a box of 50gr. Varmint Grenades but I bought a box of 40 gr V-Max instead. The 50 gr. Varmint Grenades say a 1:10 twist... Good for the mini14 w/ a 1:9 twist...

#8 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Has anyone ever shot a Fox or a bobcat with a Varmint Grenade?

#9 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

I am going to Don, I have a box of 36 gr. Varmint Grenades. I was @ sportsmen's today and almost bought a box of 50gr. Varmint Grenades but I bought a box of 40 gr V-Max instead. The 50 gr. Varmint Grenades say a 1:10 twist... Good for the mini14 w/ a 1:9 twist...

I couldn't get them to group good enough to use in 20 cal.

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#10 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

I couldn't get them to group good enough to use in 20 cal.

36 gr. ? Or 50 gr.

#11 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

That's not good... I was thinking if you reload, you could tone it down some so it wouldn't do as much damage and not exit. Just a thought.

#12 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

Maybe a .17 fireball would be a better choice.

#13 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23152 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:37 PM

36 gr. ? Or 50 gr.

26gr....20cal !

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#14 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

I asked about .22LR and somehow we got on .223.  I have a .223 already and use it for coyotes.  I was asking about fox and .22LR.

at close range a .22 lr. should work fine for Fox. Get-r-done Short.

#15 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12090 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

Stingers work very well!!

#16 CouesBuck16

CouesBuck16

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

Excellent weapon for fox. Great for coyotes too within 200 yards. Killed a few big bobcats with my .22lr, none went farther than 50 yards when shot in the lungs. I'm using an old Marlin that was built very well and holds outstanding accuracy out far though. I've tried newer rifles that just don't measure up to it. As far as the round, it is a lot deadlier than many people give it credit for.

#17 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

When I was a kid and we had chickens a 22lr with Yellowjackets put down a lot of fox. Like everyone else said it will be fine if you limit your range and pick your shots. I also feel that the 17wsm would be a great little rimfire coyote round but if you have a 22 then yep I would use it

#18 2dayis

2dayis

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

22 mag with 40,45 or 50 grain bullets work great for me. We shoot to 125 yds with the hornady critical defense 45grain ftx bullets with amazing results. Tiny entrance holes. And no exit. Usually no blood other than from mouth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users