Best Bear Lure? NOT BAIT - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Best Bear Lure? NOT BAIT

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Been looking on Cabela's at the best lures to use to attract bear. It's illegal to use bait here but scents are acceptable if I'm not mistaken. Going to have to check on that though to be sure. However, I ran across a couple with some good reviews, CodeBlue Bear Magnet and their drip bag have the best. Anybody else with any good suggestions?  

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6792 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I looked at your hunting regs. and I didn't see anything about using lure, it said bait is illegal ie: even shooting a bear over a trash can is illegal (trash is bait) I would call to make sure about lure... I didn't think Kentucky would have a "Hunter Orange Law"... I also see "No Non-Resident" bear permits, that doesn"t help your state...JMO

#3 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

They finally just opened the season to a total of 16 counties, where as it was only open in 4 counties. The season limit is 10 bears total, or the first 5 females, which all can be killed on opening day then the season is closed. KY fish and wildlife are still focused are getting their population up and studying them more, so they're not really worried about making money off these bears just yet. They're actually isn't even that many bears in KY. I work at a wildlife refuge park and there is another park just down the road where the bears are protected as well, and I've only seen 1 bear the past 2 years I've worked there, and that was actually just 2 days ago. And if only 10 bears total are aloud a year, resident hunters who are able to scout more can make that quota. Which it's hard for me to see a non-resident hunter coming in and paying $300-$400 for out of state tags and license anyways, while taking a chance on only getting to hunt for 1 day, then in that one day not even seeing sign of a bear, little long killing one. When they can can just go to Tennessee, Virginia, or West Virginia and have a longer season and better chances at killing one. And besides, they make enough money off of the elk and deer hunting for out of state as it is. So with that being said, I'm glad they restrict it to residents only, because that's less pressure on me and other resident bear hunters to get a kill the first day out. 

But the restrictions on bear hunting as far as bait goes, they consider bait anything eatable. And the area is still considered baited until 30 days after all eatable items are completely removed. So to me that sounds like scents are legal considering they're not eatable. But yes, I am going to call and ask just to be sure

#4 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

very good explanation, thanks

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#5 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

If in dought don't do it.

#6 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

You know your right, I wish our Game and Fish would stop selling non-resident hunting , fishing and trapping license. We have enough people who want to come here and hunt our Elk, Bear, Buffalo, Bighorn Sheep, Mt. Goats, Mule Deer, White Tailed Deer, Coues Deer, Mountain Lion, Antelope, Turkey, Squirrel, Cottonail Rabbits, Jack Rabbits, Pheasant, Gambel's quail, Mearns quail, Scaled quail, Chukar Partridge, Blue Grouse, Coyote, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Bobcats, Ringtail Cats, Skunks, Badger, Weasel, Beaver, Raccoon, Mourning Dove, White Wing Dove, Eurasian Dove, and all the Ducks and Geese...

#7 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

AZ, would you be willing to pay more for a resident license if there was no non-resident licenses sold. I've wondered the same thing about Colorado and if I would be willing to pay more.

I'm  still in an email discussion with the State of Iowa about non-resident licenses. My wife is still a one third owner of their family farm and as a spouse I could get a landowner's license if we lived in Iowa, but being we live in Colorado I have to apply for a non-resident license and acquire preference points . They (Iowa DNR) doesn't care that we still pay our share of the property tax on the farm just as if we lived there.

Sorry for the hi-jack KH_EKU.

Iowan by birth,

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#8 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Here at age 60 you can get a free for life hunting, fishing and trapping lisence.  There are always room for hunters up here for non resident.

#9 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

No 220, I was being facetious... I don't belive any state should block non-resident hunters or trappers. It's just bad practice... we allow non-resident hunter and trappers with open arms, and I think other states should do the same... PS I would not go to a state and spend my money if they didn't allow non-residents to hunt, fish or trap... MO...

#10 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thanks AZ, that's was the conclusion I came to myself.

Iowan by birth,

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#11 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks AZ, that's was the conclusion I came to myself.

I thought you would have...

#12 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

220, Colorado and Arizona make millions on hunting, trapping and fishing from out of state sportsmen. They would be fools not to allow non-residents...

#13 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

I agree, not the way the anti's think though........

Iowan by birth,

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#14 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

AZ, Pretty sure I never said anything about completely abolishing non resident hunting. All I said was I'm glad they only limit it to resident hunters considering the season quota is 10 bears. If I knew you was so sensitive to the subject I never would've started the thread. My deepest apologies! But all of those game animals you just listed, how would you feel if they just limit the entire season quota to 10 each? How many times have you harvested a big game animal on opening day of season? Yeh it happens, but not that often. So theoretically, say you're hunting deer and the law says season opens on Nov 1-whatever, but the season ends after 10 deer have been killed for that year. Ok say you have a bad day and don't see one, so you go and check that night to see if the season is still open for the next day, and come to find out, the 10 deer quota has been met and seasons closed. Now, you do some searching and find that over half of those 10 came from non resident hunters. Yeh that may allow for a few more dollars earned for the state, but wouldn't you like to see those 10 deer to be taken by residents of your state, who live next to the deer and pay the taxes all year towards the management of such game? Or would you rather some rich guy from out of state come in and pay a hefty license fee and kill a deer? Which just so happens to be the same deer you or your neighbor has spotted multiple times, and then scouted for the entire past year. That's how I look at it. Yeh I understand hunting sometimes is a lot of luck and no animal is yours until it's on the ground, but if I'm putting in my work scouting all year and doing everything I possibly can to harvest an animal on just 1 day, then to see someone else just come in and happen to have more luck on their side for that 1 day, I'll be happy for them, but eventually that's going to get old. After a few years I'll eventually quit trying, and depending on how p-o'ed I get, I'll take my tax dollars and move to another state to have better hunting. But some people will just get fed up to the point to where they'll start poaching, and that's already happening here with the elk because everyone suspects that system to be rigged anyways, but that's a different story.

So what I'm getting at is, I don't want to see hunting turn into more of a money gimmick than it already is. And If these bears are are so low in numbers that only 10 are aloud killed a year, then I would like to see residents of my state take those 10 because they're the ones who have to put up with them.

#15 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Oh, and I hope you hold true to your statement about not wanting to go to a state that doesn't accept non resident hunters. Because personally, I don't want to see you come to my state anyways. More bear for my fellow Kentuckians!!

#16 KH_EKU

KH_EKU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

But back to the subject lol. Good bear lures, you got 'em? I want 'em

#17 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

never hunted bear yet, and we have a spring and fall season here

but i bet if you realy wanted to lure them to an area your hunting all you would need to do is

rub yourself down real good with some bacon grease and sit in the woods and they will find you lol

here we can bait them in both seasons,so there is no reason for bear hunters here to try and use just a lure

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#18 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Anis oil is a good lure, the flavor of licorice and the smell carries a long ways.  Put it with some glicorne and it will make it last and carry a long ways.  I made some up one time and did not want to carry it in my pack incase it spilled because it was a bear magnet.  I have also heard of a moleasses burn will work too.

#19 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Oh, and I hope you hold true to your statement about not wanting to go to a state that doesn't accept non resident hunters. Because personally, I don't want to see you come to my state anyways. More bear for my fellow Kentuckians!!

Read his (AZ's ) previous post about being facetious.... He was just being a wise arse. Although the state of AZ does only allow 10% of the tags for any species to go to out of state hunters.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users