Cinnamon Black Bear - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Cinnamon Black Bear

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Beautiful cinnamon black bear in my yard the other day. Haven't ever hunted one but would love to find one with this coloring :wink:

Attached File  Bear2.jpg   155.39KB   10 downloadsAttached File  Bear.jpg   181.77KB   10 downloads

"No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23199 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

That is a pretty one. He would make a nice mount. Can you get a tag for that area?

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#3 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3782 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Nice

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#4 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yes, tags are available for the area. Haven't decided yet if I am going to get one or not though. Anyone like to eat bear?

"No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."

#5 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

I love bear meat when it's handled and prepared correctly. That's a beautiful colored bear and would make an excellent trophy. It also looks to have some good size to it.

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#6 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

It was definitely a big bear. I would love to try bear sometime. I think it would be a beautiful trophy. Hopefully I will be seeing the bear around some more ;)

#7 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

So for the being properly handled, sounds like a better idea to have it professionally processed? I am not very experienced processing game yet. Only my 3rd season hunting :blush:

#8 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

that would probably be the best, ideally getting the meat cooled down will also help.....

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#9 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

I appreciate the info! Hopefully can decide pretty quick if I want to pursue a bear this season, seeing the season opens on Sunday I don't have a lot of time, lol.

#10 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • 3072 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

That's definitely a beautiful bear! Bear meat is delicious! It is even a leaner meat than deer and elk. All the fat is on the outside of the meat, just trim the fat off and you'll have a great tasting steak. The meat also makes some awesome sausage. I never could talk my mother and sister in trying bear meat until I tricked them. I told them I was going to cook two packages of elk steak one from my brothers elk and one from my elk. Told them to tell me which one they thought tasted better. One package was actually bear meat. They tried em both and ended picking the bear meat. They weren't very happy with me for tricking them into eating bear.

#11 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Haha!! I am sure they weren't happy. I have heard that about the fat and to ensure that it is all removed. Making me salivate thinking of a nice steak now (either bear or elk)!!

#12 olsonfia

olsonfia

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

That fatboy would make a nice rug!

#13 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23199 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'll definitely agree that having it processed is a good idea unless you have the room, the tools, and the knowledge to do it right. But remember that gutting correctly and cleaning the body cavity out ASAP and as thoroughly as possible in the field are the make or break of good tasting meat be it a rabbit or a bear.

You'll like the bear meat!

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#14 22magnum

22magnum

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Holy cow! If you need PDS to come out and take care of it we travel lol.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

#15 22magnum

22magnum

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Edit: PDC (Predator Damage Control)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

#16 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12134 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

That is a pretty bear, the meat is awesome, the hams done up is one of my favourites, bear lard makes the best pie crust you'll  ever have. Some great tips above, YD nailed the cleaning part.

#17 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I love elk meat but would take bear before elk any day of the week

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#18 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Black bear meat is good and very lean.  That is one of the best looking black bears I have seen, only on better is a glacier (aka blue phase) bear.

#19 Alpine Hunter

Alpine Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

22magnum, I think I might take care of this one ;)

Awesome to hear about how good the meat can be!!! I think I might go ahead and try to grab a tag for my area this year. Only 8am and I am already thinking about grilling some steaks (wish they were bear so i could try) !!

Thanks for all the advice!

#20 A10hunter

A10hunter

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have always heard the bear meat don't taste that good, but glad to hear that is not the case if it is taken care of correctly after the kill. Now, I will plan on bear hunting because I didn't want to kill a bear just for sport and a rug. If it taste better than elk, then I can't believe what I have been missing because elk is the best meat I have ever had. And in CA, black bear is so much easier to harvest than deer, or elk for sure. But, I would take it to a butcher to be done right.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users