Unpredictable Archery Bear - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Unpredictable Archery Bear

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6462 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

A Saskatchewan bear hunt gets scary and you never know what's going to happen next.  Worth watching the whole video.

#2 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Great vid., thanks for sharing, they can climb pretty fast.

#3 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

great video, when the bear was in the tree with the camera guy was definitely a close encounter!!

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#4 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

Great vid., thanks for sharing, they can climb pretty fast.

They sure do climb fast!  Faster than the hunter could have unlatched his safety strap and jumped.

#5 Hortontoter

Hortontoter

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Great video, what an awesome encounter. And to think that non hunters wonder why we spend so much time in the outdoors.

If I'm not hunting, I'm preparing for my next hunt.

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yowza ! Talk about a close encounter....unhook and jump to where ? the other bear...break a leg and you're dinner on tape.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#7 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

I know, YD, but if that bear had begun to chew on an apendage, jumping would have been an option - not necessarily a good one, though.  Kinda like people jumping from tall buildings to get away from a fire.  If I'm climbing a tree in bear country, I think I'd have some bear "medicine" on my hip.

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23208 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I agree. When archery hunting here in AZ it's illegal to carry "medicine" last I heard

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#9 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

here in mn, the only time yuo can carry a side arm that isnt the primary hunting weapon is if you have a license to carry

or if hunting what is considered a "dangerous" animal such as bear

i know ifn i was hunting bear i would have a rather large pistol as back up

i had an uncle whome,years back,had a sow come up his tree when he was bow hunting for bear.

he said he was at full draw and pointing right at her mouth when she made it to the bottom of his stand.

but she was more spooked of him and jumped out of the tree when she spotted him.

he is a rather ugly person to look at lol

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#10 4Cody4

4Cody4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I think I'd have more faith in bear spray to be honest. I think it's been proven that it has higher success rates. Sometimes due to the person using it being more successful administering it.

#11 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

a buddy of mine that used to be a supervisor for the dnr (retired now)

said he would never rely on that spray,he always carried(still does) a 454 casul(sp?) as a side arm into the woods

we only have blacks here and that wont ricochet of the skull like smaller calibers will,but will go clean thru

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#12 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2397 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think I'd have more faith in bear spray to be honest. I think it's been proven that it has higher success rates. Sometimes due to the person using it being more successful administering it.

I'm sure spray would work , but what if the thermals carry it back up into the stand ? From friends that have been sprayed in their training for law enforcement work , I know it is an unpleasant experience when it's in your face . I carry the spray AND my short shotty while in my bow stand ... one of em will work for sure . Great video .

#13 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

I am very impressed with the sounds they made and how they reacted to the sounds the others were making.  I am guessing there were 3 or 4 different bears in that vid.  I still would have been instrested in being involved in an encounter like that.

#14 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6462 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Knapper, That's about as close as I'd want to be.  I mean who's packing extra undies?

#15 jswift

jswift

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Looked like a fun time-thanks for sharing.

#16 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Knapper, That's about as close as I'd want to be.  I mean who's packing extra undies?

I may be a adrinalinal juncky but I would feel like it is the right kind of hunt and I feel I can read most of there theoughts, other than the ones that say lets eat him.  I have been quite close to bears several times and enjoyed the encounter.  Of course they left and I only dieded once.

#17 dwtrees

dwtrees

Still Kicking and Retired

• Members
  • 2524 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thats probably the coolest video I have ever seen of bear hunting. Nothing like up close and personal. I had to watch it twice as I didn't think a bear could scale a tree that fast - wow.

I read an article about wasp spray and how good it worked instead of pepper spray or bear spray. I think the main reason is because it squirts a stream about 20 feet and you can hit your target a lot farther away. Of course in that video, he wouldn't have had time to even grab the can and the bear was on his back side.

Finally retired and now I am learning how to farm and ranch. Been fun so far.

#18 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have seen a Grizzly go up a hill and over the other side with speed equial to that of the one coming up the tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users