Calling BlackBear - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Calling BlackBear

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

There are bear on the land i hunt on...1/2 of it is a north facing slope with lots of blowdowns and it is complete briar thicket....always find bear sign in this area, only ever laid eyes on one once, when we nearly walked over it. Well i was unfortunatly at the beach for family thanksgiving this year over bear season, and got no chance. I just spent some money on a 30-06 with a leupold vx-3 on top. This bear season i want some more excitement. I recently heard about calling black bear, any proven tactics? Calls? Setups? All help in appreciated!

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#2 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12134 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

You should have lots of deer there so I'd go with fawn distress first or any other big game animals that are around,  they are scavengers so even raven calls should work.

#3 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2308 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I have used dieing rabbit calls and got some response of bang and breaking sticks and it must of windded us and we never did see it  We were three pretty spooked guys.

#4 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • 3072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Never called one in on purpose. Calling coyotes one time and had a black bear come in to about 30 yards. I was using a jackrabbit call.

#5 jswift

jswift

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

On a elk hunt several years ago my daughter was using an older model GPS that made little noises. We were sitting behind a large log as she couldn't sit still.  She ended up bringing a bear in to about 45 feet before it winded us.  She still talks about it :smile:

#6 C2C

C2C

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2397 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

You should have lots of deer there so I'd go with fawn distress first or any other big game animals that are around,  they are scavengers so even raven calls should work.

Only thing I can add to hassell's comments is to hunt in an area where you have some visibilty .. Not pleasant having them show up at close range ! Oh watch your back too .

#7 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

How about stand hunting?? Not much visibility from the ground at all. 30 yards some places at the most.

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#8 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12134 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Myself I don't stand hunt any kind of animals, hunt on the ground only, unless you know exactly where they are feeding at, then you could use a stand, with some proper scouting around you should be able to find their freshest eating area's. They are not hard to hunt if you do your homework on their habits.

#9 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! Bear season is far from here in PA but its always good to get a gameplan and scout things out before the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users