How to call coyotes - 2012 edition - Coyote Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

How to call coyotes - 2012 edition

how to call coyotes calling coyotes coyote calling how to call a coyote

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3469 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Let's share our best tips and tricks for those who are new to the sport. It's not always easy to go back to when you were a beginner but for the sake of this thread, let's do just that. Hundreds of people are searching for this info online every month. Let's help them out!

Simple tricks / techniques for calling coyotes? What can you share?

Offering fully-guided, no-frills aoudad hunts in far southwest Texas on the border of Mexico. Please check out www.huntaoudad.com or see us on Facebook at Facebook.com/huntaoudad

Also.... be sure to enter our giveaway for a free aoudad hunt. Only 2 days left!!

#2 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Have Fun!!!! Pay attention to wind direction, try to keep the sun at your back, start calling at low volume, sit still with something at your back to break up your outline
Don't get frustrated when your not calling em in every stand. Just some basics to start out with.

#3 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Be patient....  The video's you have watched are not the norm....  Enjoy being out there regardless if you have called them in or not.

Formerly itzDirty

#4 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 7756 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Mix up the calls you’re using, the normal cottontail & jackrabbit in distress is somewhat over used. Try more bird and rodent distress. Just because the distressed animal isn't native to your area doesn't mean it won't attract attention. Be patient, sty a little longer on each stand......

ENJOY THE TIME IN THE FIELD!!!

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23171 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Sight your gun in correctly.

And remember to live your life in a good manner. Just because 8 years have gone by since you stole that christmas tree doesn't mean karma has caught up with you yet.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#6 NattyB

NattyB

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Scout preseason and during season. This includes talking with land-owners/farmers, they are a great source of info.  I have limited time to call for yote in good yote country, so each hunt is very planned.  Once permission is secured and good sign located, check out your property on Google Maps Terrain View and figure out calling locations based on structure and wind direction. DONT HUNT WHERE YOU WANT TO...  HUNT WHERE YOU HAVE TO.  Get away from the truck. Stalk into stand and set-up.  Wind is everything.  In evening, call to last possible legal light. Keep a focused, yet fun attitude on each stand.  They will show up, be ready and wait for them to stop.

#7 Spearodafish

Spearodafish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

Hunt with a buddy who helps out with gas money, doesn't move around on stand, slam the truck door, and jonses to go hunt every day like you do...or stay home and watch TV lol...There is another thread similar to this one that was just bumped for in depth tips for noobs. 

http://www.predatort...o-call-coyotes/

#8 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7940 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

Always try and keep an opening (good visbilty) downwind even if thats not where you expect them to come from.

Scott tried a post like this a couple of months ago and it ended with just jokes and guys just trying to be funny. He had a very good tip about setting your e-caller around a fence and where to and not to put it.

If we are going to try and help others we need to be serious about this post.Sorry if this is taken the wrong way but I think posts like this are a very good idea and a great way to get positive thinking on our sport out to ohers. I want to say thanks to Scott for trying and hope it works out alittle better this time. Come on guys give up a little on some of your best ideas.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#9 Spearodafish

Spearodafish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

If my post was taken as a joke & trying to ruin a thread I apologize.. I saw this thread after I wrote a pretty in depth response in the thread I referenced & added a little humor with even more seriousness. Please see my other post related to this thread...

#10 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3320 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

And remember to live your life in a good manner. Just because 8 years have gone by since you stole that christmas tree doesn't mean karma has caught up with you yet.

Is there something you'd like to share with us?  We're good listeners :smiley-frosty-blinking:

#11 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23171 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Your nose never knows all the scents you carry with you on stand.  You'll never rid yourself of all of them (nor would your partner want you to...deodorant, toothpaste, etc.) but you can eliminate a few simple ones. Do not use scented laundry soap, hair gel or anything else. A good way to check is to open and smell the bottle, can, or jar the product is in. If you can smell it from a few inches away a coyote will smell it from a hundred yards away when it is downwind of you.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#12 Spearodafish

Spearodafish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Very true YD... I cringe at the thought of walking around the gas station with my boots on & pumping gas. Some may think that's a but extreme, but when it comes to scent control these are things that will help lead to success. Everything added together helps. Oh, and no smoking :)

#13 Dakota Dogs

Dakota Dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just because 8 years have gone by since you stole that christmas tree doesn't mean karma has caught up with you yet.

Did you know me in college? 

Kids who hunt and fish won't grow up to rob little old ladies.

2013 running totals
Times out - 5
Sets made - 10
Coyotes seen - 3
Coyotes called in - 0
Coyotes killed - 0

#14 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Coyote are looking for something moving when they approach.... don't let it be you....

Formerly itzDirty

#15 Paul-e

Paul-e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Think about your approach to your stand. The best calls in the world won't mean a thing if the 'yotes are watching you set up. It wont take them long to head for the next county if they see you walking through the center of thier living room.

Hunt with a buddy who helps out with gas money, doesn't move around on stand, slam the truck door, and jonses to go hunt every day like you do... 
http://www.predatort...o-call-coyotes/

Having a "like-minded" hunting buddy can help to keep it fun. Then, the dumb mistakes aren't always yours and they are easier to laugh about later.

#16 fur-n-dirt

fur-n-dirt

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Call Volume is critical!

Depending on terrain and area, volume levels can/should be very different..

However, I can tell you in the AZ desert in the thick stuff, its very easy to have call volume too LOUD.  Please ask me how I know this..lol

... it's all easy if you know what you are doing ...

#17 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I for one would like to hear the reason...  there is a thread on here about the bloopers we make.  Post it in there to help keep this from getting muddy.

Formerly itzDirty

#18 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 6428 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Coyote are looking for something moving when they approach.... don't let it be you....

We use a motion decoy and a full-body coyote decoy over it.  It sure takes the spotlight off the hunter.  I also use my own brand of deer-urine cover scent collected from wild deer and put it on my rubber boots and all around the setup.

#19 Tang

Tang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Make sure you vehicle is out of sight. I left my truck in the open in a conservation area parking lot. A yote came in at 500 yards and wouldn't come any closer. I wondered why.After trying everything to get him to come in I packed up and started to head back to the truck and I could see it as plain as day from my stand.

Hide the truck!

Rifle: Kryptek Howa 1500 .223 Bull Barrel

Ammunition: Fiocchi 50 Grain V-Max Varmint

Scope: Nikko Stirling Illuminated Gameking 6-16 x 44mm 

Caller: FoxPro Fusion

Decoy: Mojo Super Critter

Coyotes Killed: 1

Coyotes Called in (visible): 19

Coyotes hit and not recovered: 1

Coyotes shot at and missed: 8

#20 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3782 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

i am new to predator hunting 

but i agree with youngdon and spearodafish

all my hunting cloths get washed in scent free detergent and then placed in scent free bags,along with my hunting boots

i never ever wear my hunting cloths or boots in the truck or while fueling the vehicle or going into stores
when i get to the hunting area then and only then do i put on my hunting clothes and boots

i never shower with scented soaps and shampoos before hunting,always use scent free products,i never smoke in the field or on my way to the field,not just because of the odor

but i hate seeing cigarette butts in the woods

i always use cover scents,i like to find fresh deer poop and step in it and get it all over my boots

i even do this for turkey hunting,and their sense of smell is terrible,but i have spooked deer while turkey hunting before i learned to do this.and the deer will spook the turkeys

so i figure its got to work the same for predators

i also believe on should know the capabilities of their weapon and their own skills with that weapon and never ever take a shot that your not comfortable with,its better to let them walk unharmed than to have them run wounded and not be able to recover them

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how to call coyotes, calling coyotes, coyote calling, how to call a coyote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users