Long range fanatic - New Members - Start Here!! - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo

Long range fanatic

calling coyotes long range guns open country calling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert D. Jones Author

Robert D. Jones Author

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I am a long range fanatic. I have a technique that combines calling coyotes and long range shooting. I like to shoot way out there on targets and prairie dogs. For game animals I keep it ethical. Even on coyotes I limit the distance I will shoot to what I am confident in making a clean kill. This depends on the conditions and is 300 to 500 yards max. For this long range calling I use a little more gun than most predator hunters would use, a .243 Super Rockchucker (30-06 necked down to 24 caliber). I live in Utah and hunt Wyoming and Nevada also. In big open country I will stop and set my Fox Pro electronic call out and turn it on usually max volume. I so this in locations were back in my truck I will drive out of view in about 300 yards. After I drive out of the valley or canyon I stop and sneak back to where I can see the call. I set up with a really solid rest the gun on bags front and back. It is a fun technique. What will surprise you is how often the coyote or fox doesn't come from very far away. When they saw or heard you coming in your truck they just drop down and hide until you are gone. For this reason I quickly set up the call very near my truck when I get out. Turning on the cal with a remote might be better but I can't get enough range from a remote. I hit on this technique hand calling in Wyoming. I had just set up and started calling from the top of a ridge and had a coyote coming. While he was coming a herd of several hundred cows, four cowboys and two dogs came into sight. The coyote just dropped down in the sage. The herd passed within a hundred yards of him on a dirt road at the bottom of the draw. When the cows went out of sight I started calling again and he popped up and came in. One area I hunt has a gravel road that runs along the edge of sage above the road. Below the road it is expansive crested wheat. Every mile or two the road cuts thru a ridge. I have been driving past dogs that just duck down for years, not so now. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

#2 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3469 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Interesting first post.

Welcome to the site.

Offering fully-guided, no-frills aoudad hunts in far southwest Texas on the border of Mexico. Please check out www.huntaoudad.com or see us on Facebook at Facebook.com/huntaoudad

Also.... be sure to enter our giveaway for a free aoudad hunt. Only 2 days left!!

#3 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7756 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

very interesting!!! Welcome to the PT forum, good first post.

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

GOD BLESS AMERICA

#4 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23171 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Welcome to the forum Robert D. Jones Author !

You'll have to share the ballistics on that round.

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#5 old skunk

old skunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

welcome good one
we live by faith not by sight

#6 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5696 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Welcome to PT!

Formerly itzDirty

#7 pantherarms99

pantherarms99

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Welcome, i do a little long range shooting myself, 308  Panther arms Long Range rifle

#8 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

welcome to the sight

#9 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 6792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to Predator Talk.

#10 byrock

byrock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to the site.

#11 Scotty D.

Scotty D.

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Great to have another long-range addict on board..  Welcome :teeth:

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
— Thomas Jefferson

#12 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3320 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

:welcome:  aboard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calling coyotes, long range guns, open country calling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users