The Bears are Fighting Back! - Page 2 - Bear Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com - Page 2

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

The Bears are Fighting Back!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

whats a recomended caliber to use to drop a bear and still have a nice pelt to keep?...i know its all about bullet placement but im looking for a new rifle and want to get something i can hunt bears and lions with

I have a friend that lives in wasilla Ak, and hunts black bear and grizzly, he uses a .375 ruger and a .338 win --he prefers the .375 ruger, but says both work fine.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#22 .223 slaughter house

.223 slaughter house

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

nice ..do you know of any other calibers? like 30-06 or 300 min mag,?...or (.223 or 22-250 with right bullet placement lol)
"HUNTING'S NOT JUST A SPORT ITS A WAY OF LIFE"
*COUNTRY BOY*

#23 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

nice ..do you know of any other calibers? like 30-06 or 300 min mag,?...or (.223 or 22-250 with right bullet placement lol)

Mmmm.. Im thinking a 30-06 WITH bullet placement will do and with a heavier and proper bullet design all at a reasonable range. But ya dont wanna P.O one with anything smaller IMO.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#24 .223 slaughter house

.223 slaughter house

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

ok im thinking i need to get a 30-06 ive been wanting one for awhile either that or 300 min mag .....a .223 would be good for lions right?? considering there not that hard to penetrate
"HUNTING'S NOT JUST A SPORT ITS A WAY OF LIFE"
*COUNTRY BOY*

#25 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 12139 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

whats a recomended caliber to use to drop a bear and still have a nice pelt to keep?...i know its all about bullet placement but im looking for a new rifle and want to get something i can hunt bears and lions with

I have both 30-06 and 300, would not hesitate using the 06 on black bears or even Griz., a little big to be using on cats.

#26 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2308 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

We heard on the news tonight that another person was attacked and this one was injured not more than 300 miles apart as the crow/raven fly.

#27 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 3324 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

If ammo cost is a concern I think 06 would be a better choice.

#28 catfish83861

catfish83861

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I just have to throw in my two cents worth here. What variety bear are you looking to shoot? Are you going after Black Bear.Browns or maybe even a Kodiak? Black bears are not normally 800 pound beasts. Here in Idaho an average black bear is about 160 pounds.Some weigh in a lot heavier but nothing in the 500 or higher class. When I was guiding in Washington state we got many in the 200+ category but dang few in the 300+ class. Do they require a bigger gun to kill them if they are larger,not really. I have shot them with a multitude of different calibers. From 243 up to a 454 Casull handgun. A 270 with 150 grain Grand Slam bullets has killed a heck of a lot of bears. Heck even some have been killed with a 44 mag pistol. I had a person that visited with me from Alaska. he advised me that if I wanted to take a 44 Mag. for Brown bears to be sure to save the last round for my head as it probably would not stop the charge of the Brown. having said all this I also believe statistics will bear out that more people in the lower 48 are killed/injured by Blacks than by Grizzlies. These statements come from a person who has been chasing/killing Black Bears for over forty years. Should you come expectantly on a Black Bear it is more than likely wanting to get away from you more than your wanting to get away from it. Think you can outrun it? I have watched my dogs run a Black bear for more than 12 hours and not catch it. Some are easy to tree but not because they can't run. Neat creatures and left alone are not much problem. Let them get accustomed to human scent and you have a very dangerous animal on you hands. Please do not feed the animals,it may make them dependent. i mean look at what it has done for the welfare people here in the lower 48. 22 Hornet works great on Mountain Lion. Here in Idaho most are shot with a 22 long rifle if treed by dogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users