Predator Hunting Forum banner

Record Grizzly with Muzzleloader

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  glenway 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Now that's a bear !! Congrats to Steve and CVA.

#11 ·
I guess I should have stated that you can shoot muzzle loaders BUT it is ILLEGAL to hunt with them, So I don't know how you can claim a world record , its been like that since I started hunting and just picked up the new regs. today and it hasn't changed ????

#10 ·
I thought it was the privates, front to sack and narrow or wide...dang I hate it when these keys type like this......

#13 ·
I was trying to pull a particular page from their site but haven't found how to get in there, have to go to work so will follow up later, there are only two ways you are allowed to shoot a grizzly--- centerfire and bow with restrictions. Been like that for a very long time.

#18 ·
Confusing to say the least. Here is what I have found: A muzzleloader is a firearm, as defined in the regulations. And, under Legal Hunting Methods it is listed but only explains the definition of loaded/unloaded. But, it is listed as a legal means to hunt: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_2012_2014.pdf

On the contrary, illegal methods are listed as are illegal projectiles.

If in fact, it is illegal to hunt with a muzzleloader, how does Jim Shockey do it with his T/C Encore in B.C. all the time?

#20 ·
Prairiewolf, that's what makes it confusing; it's neither. It appears as though someone has not been apprised of a third category of rifles: muzzleloaders. Canada already defines the muzzleloader as a firearm, but nowhere do I see it listed specifically for any game. However, anything illegal is certainly specified. Therefore, by default, it appears that smokepoles are legal.

I think I have Shockey's home telephone but I don't want him yelling at me.

#21 ·
Just received a telephone call from Steve West, the world-record grizzly killer. Steve said he checked the regs before the hunt, because he didn't want to violate regs relative to powder - granular vs. pellets, etc. He also said that he was checked out thoroughly after the kill by the RCMP and they even went on to discuss loads, etc. One of them also hunts with a muzzleloader up there!

He also stated that Shockey has the world record for a goat up there - with a muzzleloader.

#23 ·
He just wanted to be extra careful and not do an "Uncle Tedly". I never expected a call from him, but I prompted it by calling BPI - maker of the gun used and linked to the story - and discussed the issue with its rep. He was all over this! I left him contact info, because the matter had to be addressed.

It's pretty clear that no laws were broken but some of these regs are so hard to understand. And, there's no NRA going to bat for anyone north of the border, either.

The same thing happens all across the land, but my experience has been that if anyone really gives a hoot, they can change things. Canada? I don't know.

#24 ·
WELL Mr.glenway I finally got to the bottom of this , the game warden was actually pulling into the same store as I was, was going to call the other warden as this has been bugging me also. So every where that you have been looking into as well as myself you won't find anything in the wildlife act that says they are illegal. You are allowed to hunt with muzzle loaders and have been for years - this came right out of the wardens mouth- I was quite flabbergasted, he said you can read the whole act and you won't find it in there,WOW-- good old Gov. and there way of doing things. So a person learns something everyday- I know these were reputable people on this hunt and were above board with everything so I couldn't figure out how this could be done!!!! He basically said that if anything is restricted it will be in the Regs., otherwise you can use whatever, machine guns etc. HA !!! So I have to apologize if I offended anyone, But the Gov. says the regs are written in stone and obey them , the parts that are hidden we save for rainy days??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.