Nutria? - Oregon Predator Hunting - Predator Hunting / Calling / Trapping Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles. - PredatorTalk.com

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Nutria?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whtelk

whtelk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi guys...
Any one here shoot nutes? I shot 138 last spring in 45 days with the .22 I was asked by an old man to thin them out on his little farm and I never even made a dent in these grass rats.

#2 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2709 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have not seen a nutria in many years. There is just not enough water close enough to support them I guess. Wouldn't mind getting in a wad of them though. Magnum rats!
:hunter:

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf

#3 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2708 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

I used to hunt them back in the day. Killed tons of them in Nutria rodeos we had in the Mobile Delta. We would go out with dogs and boats and put the dogs out in marshy areas with a handler. The handler was to make sure the dogs didnt get chewed up too bad. Sometimes a nutria wasnt able to make it across a marsh to the other side (where the hunters were waiting) and was bayed up by the dogs. Thats when things got hairy and very quickly. I used to run with the dogs and once I heard them bay one up and all the commotion. I could hear teeth popping and dogs yelping and would come into a scene of chaos. The grass was so tall and stiff that the dogs trying to get around the rat were actually sliding down onto it and then getting bit but just glancing, however one dog had the rat latched onto its side with its teeth piercing his side and pulling him around while trying to keep the other dogs away. All I could do was put my barrel directly onto the rats neck and fire quickly before the other dogs got into my line of fire. It was hectic at times but tons of fun. Whenever the rat did make it across to the other side of the marsh those in the boats would wait and TRY to hit it before it made it under water, but that was next to impossible. The usual tactic was everyone in the boat pick a quadrant and have the gun on fire and wait for it to come up for air. You had to be quick because even the slightest swing of the barrel would make ity dive again, so it wasnt easy even doing it that way. The rodeos have long since been banned due to Animal rights ^^%$##$!! so now the rats have created a wasteland on a lot of marshes on the southern end of the bay due to foraging which looks like it was mowed literally. And then of course comes the erosion with the tides and hurricanes and bad weather and the silt clogs the channels in the rivers etc... All because of-------------------wait for it----------------an INVASIVE species introduced back in the 30's~40? for their soft fur, but were turned loose by the fur farmers because the fur market collapsed. Imagine that!!
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#4 Bluecollar

Bluecollar

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I use terriers to hunt nutria and it works good.. I live in North Albany..

#5 best defense

best defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would be interested in hunting nutria. The dog I adopted loves chasing rats and squirrels, and the story I got when I adopted her was that the fellow who bread the litter was planning to use the pups to hunt nutria.  

Only problem is, I don't know where to look for them.

I mostly just hunt locally for yotes.

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 23001 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

http://www.dfw.state...with/nutria.asp

Call the Oregon department of fish and game...I bet they'll help you out !

Tree Branch Calls

Never kick a dead coyote, especially one that ain't dead when your gun is still in the kitchen. Just ask your favorite Yooper what will happen. But if its a bobcat in a 330 coni and you think he's dead,,,,,Think again.. And we know you were wearing less than your PJ's on the last one you shot !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

If you want to be successful, Be like a postage stamp, Stick to it until you get there

RIP Chris Miller

#7 best defense

best defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users