Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
177 Posts
HMMM this is a tough one. The wolf is very high on the list. The Mountain lion is way up there too. Then so is the Brown and Polar bears. But I think the ULTIMATE predator is MAN. Though in the four legged category it would be a tossup of the ones listed.

·
16 Posts
I would say the ultimate predator would be a Pissed off mother bear, with 45 X better smell than humans. and a mountain lion would also be up there on the list as well.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
FoxSniper said:
I would say the ultimate predator would be a Pissed off mother bear, with 45 X better smell than humans. and a mountain lion would also be up there on the list as well.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

·
177 Posts
IIRC there is very few if any documented wolf attacks/kills on humans. Now this can be one of 2 things, 1. The wolf is very successful in only attacking lone individuals or not leaving any witnesses. Or 2, The wolf is not very good at stalking and killing humans. The number of killings and attacks by the bears and cougars are way too numerous to count so I agree, in the four legged category, bears and cougars are at the top of the list.

·
7 Posts
Wolf's also hunt in packs to be effective in other words more of a gang hunter instead of an individual, so definatlly the couger is a better predator individually.

·
119 Posts
Very tough call. I would say on a worldwide basis, the leopard. In North America, I am gonna go with the pissed off bear. Wolves are a very cool animal in their own right, I would love the chance to call one in. They have their own place at the top, for sure.

·
58 Posts
Well a few of you guessed rite. The ultimate predator is without a doubt man! No matter how bad a wolf or a lion is, humans are still on the top of the chain. I was wondering how long it would take to have this conversation as a thread, lol. Thats what the title was intended to suggest from our perspective ! Now in the wild I would have to say it all depends on what country or region you are talking about before you could determine this. In the U.S., I would have to go with a lion over a wolf. I know how mean a cat can get when they get threatned or trapped, and it aint pleasent, lol. I have a hard time believing a wolf could whoop a full grown pissed off lion. Just my thoughts!

·
49 Posts
this year while elk hunting my brother was walking up this razor back ridge.
he saw what he thought was a bobcat cross the saddle
he then saw this mt lion trotting at him.
he waives his arms and yelled
the lion locked eyes on him and came straight on to him
he raised his rifle going to shoot at its feet
when he looked threw the scope all he could see was the bases of its ears and top of is head.
he thought "too close and touched off.
the lion dropped in its tracks.
he called the sheriff and G&F
they measured the cat at 12' from my brother.
the game warden looked at Corey and said "Corey that's not a lot of real estate between you and that cat"
ultimate predator, Corey 1 mt lion 0
Corey was standing where the dark pine needles are kicked up

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Fawn
Snow Dog Carnivore Freezing Winter

Attachments

·
16 Posts
Have you ever watched a house cat stalk a bird or mouse... Cats just scare me, they are so sly and stealthy you can hunt for weeks and never see a cat, but they could be watching you everyday...

·
Die Hard Member
2,344 Posts
Not having the big cats here I would say wolf is up there at the top, but wolverine is in a class of there own. I have seen them carrying a hind quarter of a black bear and snarling while running up a hill that was so steep that it was knocking off rocks all at the same time. The season was closed at the time.

·
177 Posts
Lions are a big concern when calling. I have heard tails of a hunter calling yotes and looks up to see a mt lion staring at them. Usually really close and ready to pounce. This is why I like to call with something at my back. Or better yet hunt with a buddy.

·
Super Moderator
12,217 Posts
Wolves without question. been around them for forty years. Trapped and hunted all of the predator family. Even chased lion's with dogs. In packs or alone you can't match their intelligence.

·
24 Posts
Wolves are smart and i have been hunting them here in idaho this year, our first year for it since their reintroduction back in 1995, but i would have to agree with the mountain lion especially a pissed off one. I have heard stories from family members in alaska about the wolverines, which they fill would whip the tar out of a mt. lion. Still my vote is for the lion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts