Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering getting a .243 bolt action as a muli-purpose gun. I would be able to use it for both deer and predators with the correct hand load. What do you all think? It seems to be just a necked down .308 and with the right load, you could take predators with minimal pelt damage, no?

·
119 Posts
yotehunter, you are exactly right. A .243 is just that a necked down .308. I have triple 2 50, and a 243, and choose the 243 almost every time. I prefer to shoot the 58 grain hornady v-max through it, and havent noticed any serious pelt damage. The thing I really like about mine is the knockdown power if a poor shot is made. What make and model are you looking to get in the 243?

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was seriously considering the T/C Icon..... I like the look of the precision hunter but the tag on that guy is somewhat hefty.

I looked at the 22-250 as well. That round looks to be a good one too.

So many choices. Not sure how anyone can pick just one.

·
119 Posts
Thats a great looking rifle. Looks like it would handle fast and as with any TC the craftsmanship will be top notch.

·
19 Posts
Just make sure you use smaller grain bullets. I shot one with a 90 grain .243 and was way too much damage for fur trading.

·
119 Posts
I agree Kenny, the 100 grain silvertips weren't the answer when I started calling years ago. But, like anything shot placement is the key.

·
6 Posts
I"d go 223 ,cheaper brass,less powder , cheap ammo= more practice. Not legal for big game in some states but with a 1 in 9 twist it can handle bullets up to 69 gr and down to 40, 45 gr. Rem VTR bolt or an AR flattop

·
119 Posts
ugly, do you load your own for 223? A lot of my buddies like the 223 but I have never been a huge fan of it. I have no reason to dislike it, narrow minded I guess. What rifle you putting them through?

·
3 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about my Rem. .243 bolt action. It is super accurate. Entry hole is small with exit hole about the same. I have shot deer up to 200 yrds. and haven't seen any reason not to
suggest this caliber. My two son's and daughter have taken many animal's with it and so far everybody is happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good choice, i used to shoot the 65 v max, didnt shoot well, went to the 55 ballistic tip, 4100 fps, seen some pretty awesome shots with it, i know of 2, that were 500 and 600 yards

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
I took 3 coyotes while deer hunting this year with my .243. As I posted in a different thread, I always carry a mouth call or two when I am deer hunting. I was using my handloads in a 100 gr. Hornady PSP. All 3 coyotes went down with one shot. I don't hunt for furs, I hunt coyotes to protect my cattle, therefore the bigger the hole, the better.

·
45 Posts
.243 is a great round and as long as you stick to soft points and such for predator hunting.It's a pretty good all around rifle.I preffer .223 myself for predator hunting.
I have my 300 win mag for everything else.

·
325 Posts

Why not ? Hmmm.... There is no reason ! A Large majority of my friends / family currently use a .243 on All types of game- ranging from whitetail deer, mule deer , hogs, yotes , and cats...

I dont really think mule deer / pigs is a wise choice for that round but I have witnessed and seen many pics of the power it really has.

·
61 Posts
I have spent the last 15 years doing more deer hunting than coyote hunting and I have shot several good bucks and one antelope with a .243. in spite of what others say i do not particularly like the .243 for deer sized critters. I know, it has killed millions. I can only say what i have seen. it is very fast so a close shot is not going to be optimal. on the other hand, coyotes slam down. i shoot a Tikka in .270wsm for deer or a 7.08 out of a remington model 7. both are far superior for deer sized game. just my opinion though

·
1,178 Posts
I have a tikka M55 in .243 win and I love it for both deer and coyotes. I shoot 55 balistic silvertips for coyotes and have been very happy. the only pass through shots have been head, neck, or leg shots any solid body shots stay inside and kills em dead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts