Predator Hunting Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do Hawks help? I've gone out 2 times and both times I was able to call in a huge Hawk.

New to sport.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,811 Posts
Why watch crows? Lesson #4 / You can learn a lot from animals: I've been doing this for years now, so forgive me if I can't remember every scenario. I was setting above, what used to be a honey hole back in 2001. I had called for over fifteen minutes and was contemplating my exit, when I heard howling erupt from farther down the drainage. I stayed put, and continued with more enticements from a mouth call. Another ten minutes of on and off distress and nothing had come in. I caught movement to my right and farther out. A hawk took wing from a dead snag about three hundred yards up the draw. "Hummm, I wonder if that hawk has seen something moving through his area?" I thought to myself. I didn't see anything, so I watched that area quite closely for a few minutes, then went back to scanning the entire area both up and down the draw. After more squalling, scanning and setting, I seen a silhouette in the thick brush to my right. Coming from the hawks area. It wasn't there before. Definitely, something had moved up close, but was hung up on the other side of some thick cover. I slowly swiveled and put the scope to my eye to get a good look. Fox? Cat? I my surprise it was a bobcat. But I would have to thread a bullet through a small opening in the brush. Boom!

Scenario #2: I had called a double off this knob before, but today I hadn't seen anything other than those Javelinas that wandered in from below. The little stinkers were milling about, out around the four hundred yard mark, obviously looking for food and roots. A steady wind blew in from the east, so I knew I was setting down wind, but an approaching coyote may run up on the skunk hogs and shy away, or give chase, either way, he may not come on into my set. "Best to flush these hogs outta here. That way there is no distraction for a coyote," I thought. I got back on my Cass Creek caller and turned it up, hoping to scatter the herd. They continued to root up edibles, not paying any attention what-so-ever to my screaming. "Tenacious little devils must have found some good eats, they haven't even lifted their heads to check me out!" I figured to crank the Cass to full deaf mode and scramble the bacon. I hit the launch button on the caller and to my surprise, those hogs just continued to dig and chew. I shook my head, "What the hell, dirty little buggers aren't going to scram!" Then the realization sank in. Those pigs couldn't hear my calling. Just four hundred yards out and the wind was enough to stop all my sound. What were my chances of calling in a coyote from half a mile or better? I called it a day.......

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe I will try incorporating a crow call into my calling sequence. Some of you may recall a post of mine last year when one evening we had a coyote 500 yards behind the house, so I jumped in the truck and drove 1/2 mile down the road and hiked up the fence line in an attempt to cut him off--forgetting my calls at home. The yote had disappeared elsewhere (the herd of deer tipped me off to that) so I started calling with my mouth/throat. Soon a flock of crows were circling me and a few minutes later a different dawg than the one we had seen appeared over the edge of the field. I coaxed her in a little more and took her at 155 yards. Can't help but think the crows helped me out on that one, so this could be a fun experiment.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ditto on livestock, too. Last year we had a neighbor's 2 horses sniffing our e-caller and when they both looked up to our left, I knew what they must be seeing. Sure enough, I dropped a female at just 80 yards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
😁😁😁is there a relationship between crows to coyotes , well i listen to them every night outside my door in fact always . my problem is where the den is of coyotes theres well about 20 crows at the same area . now they dont howl as much in the why not but any helpful questions can be a heelp towards me in getting a coyote ok thank you for some help . your welcome sir or mam

·
Registered
16 Posts
:cool::cool::cool:when i hunt coyotes i do sometimes here crows in the back ground then i pay great attention to where the crows are but like everthing else as in squirrels to deer they mostly know things better than us hunters just keep it in mind cause it works out in the end game of shooting a good or bad coyote. you pay attention to all animals in the woods even somebody walking there dogs in the woods it sends me signals when im there watching slowly .

·
Registered
16 Posts
since 2015 to as of now - over 350 times i heard the coyotes howling but im starting to notice in the crows more less in the why everytime they howl in the middle of the night next day the crows are moreless on to them coyotes in the food they got over night - :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
😁after you mentioned it yes as i started to hunt ive heard these crows before over my years into the hunting world in pa state . yes i believe it now more than not but yes i have as i think about it now o yeah i did .
but today i keep it in mind when im out with safety as it should be addressed to all that go hunting - you look at target know what you are looking at mostly then take aim . but ive been watching and hearing 6 packs around my house in pa . i like listening to the coyotes then comes daylight hours i do here crows on the wing. but thank you i learned alot tonight on crows thank you sir for this stuff i like it much your welcome sir ...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts