Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking into my treestand and spotted a groundhog, that had spotted me. He ran a short distance and stopped at his den opening. I was coming to full draw as he ran and when he stopped I released the arrow. The arrow passed through both lungs and he rolled over the mound of dirt, where he was standing.

He was a biggin' (approx. 14#) that had worn down teeth that were orange in color and most of his hair was worn off his back. As I held my first kill with a bow in my hand, I looked at the bow and back to the groundhog and realized that I could actually kill something with this weapon. I've been addicted ever since that day.

What was your first harvest with a bow?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
38 Posts
My first kill was a woodchuck in my back yard I was proably 8 . I lived on the edge of town and my brother and I were pretty hard on them and rabbits and squirrel . I was 12 when I got my first archery whitetail it was with an bear bow that had bracketts on the limbs that the wheels were mounted to. It is funny to think back at the stuff we used to shoot , like the sights that you could tighten with your fingers then after a few shots they would fall down. The pin gaps were as big back then as the distance across all my pins now, no range finders but it was fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first kill with a bow was a 6 pt buck. I was hunting with a best friend and he promised me that I'd get my first deer here. We were hunting a small 80 acres inside the city limits that he had permission to hunt on. We got out there and around 3:30 that November afternoon the deer started moving. He shot an 8 ptr that crossed the creek in front of him and after watching that, I was extremely trigger happy. I watched a small 6 ptr that was nosin' some dirt about 120 yards away. I turned my doe can call and here he came. He crossed the creek and walked straight in front of me at 20 yards. I drilled him with all my Hoyt Alphamax and he felt it. As I watched him run 10-20-30 yards, I questioned my shot like all first time hunters do and so I looked at my arrow that was in the ground right behind where he was standing when I took the shot. Then I turned back to the buck and he stumbled and tilted over. I knew he was down. My friend called me on my cell phone to ask if I got him and I replied yes, and when it got dark I claimed my kill and drug him out of the woods. My first kill and first friend double.

·
18 Posts
My first bow kill was a fork horn blacktail buck at about 15 yards with a recurve about 35 years ago. Time flies.

·
6 Posts
My first kills was a prairie dog ...followed by 27 more within a few months ....Compound bow from garage..lol
On opening day 1 muley doe,same day a grouse both at 33 yds SO FUN ! Now shooting recurve too ...preparing for pheasant now

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
When I was 12 yrs old my pa got me a Bear Cub Bow---heck, that thing was as long as I was tall. Anyway, I shot at 20 yds. and 30 yds.till I could just about split one of those old wooden shaft arrows that stuck out of the target. Long story short-- I shot a little fork horn Whitetail at 14'. Still have that scronnie little rack with the broken wooden arrow shaft hang'in on the wall.

·
7 Posts
33 years ago shot a doe in the mountains of West Virginia with a PSE and a gamegetter arrow with a wasp broadhead, while hunting with my father. We were on the ground walking up a logging road when he decided to walk down the hollow around a old beaver pond that was in the bottom. He jumped six or seven deer in the bottom that ran up to me I was shaking so bad that I missed the first one and they took off. After finding my arrow I went back to where I had shot from turned around and here came another one and stood in the same place. Luck was my side that time I hit her perfect she only went about twenty yards. I think my dad was more exited than me at the time.

·
26 Posts
My first bow kill was a 4*4 bull elk 3 yrs ago! Practiced all summer that yr doin 3-d shoots and in the back yard. Was shakin like a leaf when he come to the call!! Placed the G-5 broadhead right behind the last rib on a quartering away shot. Been hooked ever since!!!

·
135 Posts
My first was a cotintail. I was young ,12/13 the bows were crude fiberglass , no arrow rest back then. I shot it with a large broad head and ruined it. But now things are different and many a game animals have met my freezer.

·
1,178 Posts
my first was when I was probably 9 or 10. I had a little fibreglass recurve and I ended up getting a muskrat.

·
85 Posts
At agr 10 I was given a Bear Bow purchased at Korvettes in Philadelphia, 15lb gret plastic/resin material came with 3 wooden arrows topped with target tips. I was'nt allowed to have a BB gun, all my friends had them. We were on a Safari along the railroad tracks behind NE Philly Airport and spotted a mature bull grazing in the approach field, we did a ground stalk about 20yds on our bellies when he put his head down to eat the grass I came up on one knee aimed and let the arrow fly, the arrow hit the now enraged Bull in the shoulder , it turned and charged me and Bobby. We ran about 20yds than stopped when it started to bark at us. We both turned and I let another arrow fly as Bobby fire his trusty El Dorado .177 pellet rifle(Daisey) both hit there marks and we approached the fallen Bull. Biggest Groundhog in the world and it scared us to death, we both jumped up and down so excited. Bobby is no longer with us but this will live on in our families memories. The year was 1970.

·
11 Posts
first kill was a doe, if you dont want to count a beetle that was crawling on my target. lol

·
177 Posts
My first was a cottontail that was inhabiting the archery range. The place was actually overrun with them. This one just happened to come down the trail (field range) and stopped right in front of me. I was in full camo prepping for an upcoming hunt. It stopped and I put one right through. This was my first and only bow kill to date. Just stated shooting again a few month ago after a 25 year absence. Feels good. Now for a hooved animal. Preferably an Elk but a nice BT would be great too.

·
136 Posts
My first bow kill was a common carp, and have killed thousands since. Most kills run five to ten pounds each. Often I fill my rowboat with bloody carp. When I get back to shore, I empty the fishes and swamp my boat to clean it out, like a perpetual ritual. Since a roasted wooden board tastes better than roasted carp, I bury the carp in my vegetable garden: makes great fertilizer. Cliffy

1 - 20 of 73 Posts