Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a poll to see what light most people are using. I make halo shields for hunting lights and I want to see if there is any makes and models that I should be making shields for..
Please post pics of your lights if the are not a common light being used..

Thank you,
Jeremiah Weber

·
13 Posts
i have a flashlight on my shotgun but never use it.i can see pretty well in the snow.i feel a light would freak them out. i keep my lights red though , i hear its easier on the eyes. i dont use my rifle much because i hunt woods with tree stands.shotgun with no.4 buck seems to always do the trick!a rifle in the fields would call more for a spotlight, red light not pointed directly in its face but held a little in the air. just enough to brighton up his eyes.

·
29 Posts
I was ask awhile back about what kind of lights we use when calling. The first time I went out we were useing a GE-4537 bulb. And I've been using one ever since. They are tuff and last a long time.

I start with a old Q-Beam light. Remove the Q-Beam bulb and switch for they don't last very long due to the high heat.
I replace the wireing as well. I use HD A/C light core for the new wireing put in a new HD switch a long with the 4537 bulb. Place a coffe can over the end of the light. And use a Q-Beam red filter and We found over the years that the A/C plugs and wall shockits work the best they don't burn up or come unpluged. There we're done. You have a light that will last for a very long time. As you can see by the pics. these lights are due for some new duct tape and a coat of paint. Hope this helps,any question just ask.

Clint

·
1 Posts
im new to this site and so far i think its the best one on here!!!! i have been getting pretty serious about baiting, trapping, and tracking! any ideas on make it yourself at home products such as lighting a baited area would be greatly appreciated, im using some pvc feeders i made and its working so far but could use some suggestions or posible tips for different types.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try to use solar powered motion lights.. Then when something is on your bait you know it.. you can get these from Harbor Freight fairly cheap..

·
61 Posts
vmaster59, this is a nice set up. I have been trying to find a good way to have my light attached with the rest and swing easily with my rest. does your whole seat, rest and light mount all turn at the same time or are they independent of each other. we usually have one person use the light and call and the other man the gun and rest. we usually set up the light above and behind the shooter. I want to set up something that i can use alone when nobody else wants to go out. we hunt from a high seat on private land here in tejas also. thanks for the pics. MG

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
I use a Wheat light with a 7' cord and attach the head lamp to the barrel with a plastic barrel bracket.
Hey Whiteknuckle---I went Deer hunting with some cousins in Clearfield County,Pa. about 40 yrs ago.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catcapper,
Are your cousins still here?
You wouldnt believe how our game commission has killed off our deer herd in the last 10 years..

·
3 Posts
Good info Clint where do you buy HB switch and can you explain ac plug and wall sockett??. I want to use this in Texas this fall
HB

·
3 Posts
Hey vmaster I was trying to put together one of these lights last night. Tell me about the ac plug and wall shockits I'm not following .
What do you power this with?
Thanks

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris,
I run Lightforce lights.. I dont know your exact set-up but the 170 is the best all around light they make.. I would buy the riflemount version, you can still hold it in your hand if you want to.. Also check out my "Silent Halo Shield" for these lights. If you are interested in one of these you can purchase from me at my website or www.apcalls.com

I hope this helps,
Jeremiah Weber

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Whiteknuckle said:
Chris,
I run Lightforce lights.. I dont know your exact set-up but the 170 is the best all around light they make.. I would buy the riflemount version, you can still hold it in your hand if you want to.. Also check out my "Silent Halo Shield" for these lights. If you are interested in one of these you can purchase from me at my website or www.apcalls.com

I hope this helps,
Jeremiah Weber
Jeremiah,

I am looking for something that will mount to a rotating high chair, but can also be moved up/down/left/right while it's mounted. I will gladly buy your cover for it. Just gotta find the right light.

Thanks

·
209 Posts
I have used a lot of light including light force but the Varmint Special by Brinkman with the 15' straight cord it a great light it has designed by a varmint hunter for night calling in mind. It comes with a halo to keep the light away from the caller. They also come with a coiled cord or 8' straight cord. The longer cord can get in the way but is very handy with getting in and off of a high rack with out leaving the predator. I you install halo on the light force lights you can not get the lens off near as fast as you need to.

Thanks,

Furtaker:cowboy:

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Welcome to PT Furtaker.

·
209 Posts
Thanks it is the greatest thing I have found online yet! It good to talk to different hunters and see how everyone else is hunting. Its good to be here!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts