Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a dog we rescued from our area a little over a year ago. Someone dropped her off and she was starving and almost dead. We took her in and she turned out to be the best dog we've ever had.

We're still trying to figure out what kind of dog she is. She has giant paws, and weighs 85 lbs at 1 1/2 years old. We think she's part Great Dane, but not sure what else. She seems like a herding type dog possibly?

Anyone care to take a guess?

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Companion dog
Dog Collar Working animal Carnivore Dog breed
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Collar
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Companion dog
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Plant
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm. Someone else mentioned Catahoula too and I can certainly see it! Now I am questioning the great dane thing and we were pretty sure of that.

A few more pics... when she was little. She was a pathetic little thing, nearly starved to death when we found her. She filled out well though.

Dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Tableware

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Working animal

Dog Dog crate Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Whiskers

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Snout

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Snout

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Grey

Attachments

·
22 Posts
i own three (pit bulls) shaffire terriors . im not a expert but id say maybe a mix breed of shaffire and gray hound or mountain curr. are the dogs feet web? (like the water dogs) this is a six year old and 1 year old female. but both have what is called slick heads (narrow head) they have a strong personality and are very easy to train and listen very well. the white one is my male 2 years old and about 60lbs. and he has the block head. (square head). thats just a guess though. anyways she is a very beutiful dog.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
Catahoula and I'm gonna eat a lot when I grow up.

·
22 Posts
firm believer that's its not the breed its in how they are treated and trainned. plus like most strong personality animals they like having a job to do and being rewarded for doing it right.

·
Die Hard Member
1,587 Posts
Definitely Catahoula Cur they com in a variety of colors from blond, brindle to the speckled ones like in the picture, they can be trained for almost anything from Sqirrels to Bear Wonderful Dogs I have had several over the years!!

·
Die Hard Member
1,587 Posts
Chris The Speckled ones like you have in the pics are called Leopard Spotted Catahoula Curs. Definitely one of the Good Breeds out there!!

·
8 Posts
As Reid stated...my guess would be a Catahoula Leopard hound.

Beautiful dog....glad to see you have a place in the heart for "lost pups"

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Chris who'd have thought that 'Cue would have turned out to be a Predator dog!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ebbs said:
Chris who'd have thought that 'Cue would have turned out to be a Predator dog!!!!
No kidding! Is this fate, or what? She is one heck of a hunter too. I am convinced that she's more cat than dog. Always hunting something....

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after 2 years of not knowing, we finally had a DNA test done. It came back in tonight....

Rescue is a Great Dane / Dalmatian mix!

We're pretty excited to have found out...

Product Font Poster Electric blue Magenta

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thats all catahoula. I raise them for hog dogs. No doubt. They are a very loyal breed, and she will most likely get very attached to your family. I have raised them for about 6 years now. I have had all colors, thats whats amazing about the breed, lots of color. I have one female that is very aggressive when it comes to my kids. She just turned a year old last month, and he would fight anything to keep these kids safe. I hope you enjoy the breed..

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
showmeyote said:
Thats all catahoula. I raise them for hog dogs. No doubt. They are a very loyal breed, and she will most likely get very attached to your family. I have raised them for about 6 years now. I have had all colors, thats whats amazing about the breed, lots of color. I have one female that is very aggressive when it comes to my kids. She just turned a year old last month, and he would fight anything to keep these kids safe. I hope you enjoy the breed..
You missed the post... DNA says she's a great dane / dalmatian mix. We thought she was a catahoula too, but this is a DNA test talking.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Chris,
I just found the post and before I even got to the bottom, I could see Great Dane. My wife and I raised registered Great Danes for several years and the Blue Merle coat and body build told me right off what it was. They are great dogs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts