Predator Hunting Forum banner

went out yesterday

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  indianadog hunter 
#1 ·
went out for 9hrs. yesterday. saw new and old tracks.set up in like 15 different spots.only thing to come into the calls had feathers. either it was crows, hawks, or even the occassional eagle. tried the pup distress, howls, rabbit (big & small) distress, woodpecker, and even our hand calls. cover scent was used. watched the wind... what's going wrong? please any tips....i have the patience. please help.

#3 ·
that helps the callings ok .we did see three sets of fresh tracks with 2 piels looked like rabbit fur in it .the tracks looked like they were just there not long before us. but it is a public hunting area there was a lot of hunting presher during deer season . but no howling .havent tried in the night yet mainly early morning just before lite

#8 ·
Eastern yotes are tough critters. A buddy and I headed down to KY last Sunday. We hunted from dark to dark (night hunting is illegal in KY). We made 7 stands and only saw two dogs. The first dog was about 600yds away really early in the mornig and the other was in the middle afternoon but played the terrain well and got us befor we got it. We headed back up to Ohio for some night hunting and had tons of replies to howls and barks but no dogs showed. We had crows, and hawks all over but not many dogs. It seems like in the east its really about being in the rite spot at the rite time. All and all we spent about 17 hours in the woods with no dogs to show for our efforts.

#10 ·
I'm gonna share something here, you all can "chew my A$$ IF YOU LIKE". Howlin is over rated, and over used, you wanna run yotes out of the country , just howl two or three times. They will haul a$$. Don't beleive me, just try it. Every video, and magazine on the market say's to howl every stand, no matter time of day, or time of year. Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard of, but it sells videos, and mags.
The only time I howl is in the breedin season, and then only rarely. Pup distress, KYYI'S, and challenge barks are a way better bet.
But what do I know?????

#11 ·
Weather dictates animal movement more than just about anything. Explains why you can be on the best ranch in the country using the best sound in the world and get skunked, and then the next night hammer them. It doesnt make any sense, but thats the way it is. Keep hunting and watch for changes in the weather and I promise you will be more successful.

#13 ·
I agree with Duane--I only howl in breedin season,female invite and estrus chirp cause that's when they work best. The rest of the year I stay with distress calls. It dosen't take much to educate a coyote. Practice your coyote talk at home,in the car/pickup,at church or at the in-laws til you think you have it right. There's an old saying--If you can't talk the talk,shut up. Example: Lets say that your going to be a spy and go back to Cambodia for some strange and unknown reason. The operation is preceding as scheduled until some local asks for directions to the bus stop. Oh-Oh--You don't know the language--busted--deep do-do.
Good luck guys--Practice,Practice,Practice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.