·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Good luck Cam.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
First check ....3 out of 10 snares held dogs ,all in good shape and light colored !! I reset and finished the day with a nice mule buck 100 yds from my snare site. I dressed him out and left gutpile there to prebait ..a true multitasker..LOL.

I talked with the landowner and he was thrilled to death with the results, I will keep going in this spot for about a week and see how it goes then move down to the river and get serious .
His daughter lives in the farmyard where I caught these and I told her to keep her new pup in the house for at least a week so he didn't end up in a snare or get caught by coyotes ..didn't take much persuading to get her to do that .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Congrats on the coyotes, that’s a nice mulie

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Go get them C2C... at the price you had mentioned it's not a hobby anymore your just doing it for shi*s and giggles...
Isn't that the truth..I will check again today and prebait a couple spots I have in mind with roadkill. Very windy and about +6°C ,but weather changing Sunday to -6 then down to -16 by Wednesday. I'm headed to the Calgary bowzone Sunday for 3 days to finish deer season and when I get back I will hang cable in these orebaited spots, should be lots of sign to set on.

Who knows I may be back sooner ,nit much fun sitting in subzero temps for deer if there is much wind ..

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Weather was so warm that the fields softened up and I didn't prebait ..cold temps coming and I will bait and set as soon as I get home and thaw out from my archery trip ...-20 and 30mph winds here I come .

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
It takes a good man to raise a good man.

Reactions: hassell

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It takes a good man to raise a good man.
Alot of the credit goes to his mom ,.brother..

Hunting trip was a bust so I came home a day army and will start hanging cable tomorrow...snow was too deep and crusted so deer had no feed and moved off the property I had permission on .
No problem, it was good to get away and spend a couple days with an old friend ... we have enjoyed this hunting trip for 37 consecutive years and a kill is not necessary for a good trip. -20°C and light North wind for the 2 days I was there so it was a bit chilly ... tomorrow is the day I look forward to every year ..stay tuned ..

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Spent the afternoon at 2 spots ans got set 24 and 17 snares respectively..tracks were everywhere!!! Prebait deer was abiut a third eaten and 2 coyotes were at one site ...was a frosty, cold day and I froze a finger halfway thru the first site, but a change of gloves got it thawed out ...was a.good day except for one thing ..bet you can't guess what met me at the first spot ...yup my nemesis , a golden eagle bug enough that he should have landing gear and lights on his wings like a 747.....with prices being low like they are and snaring a pile of work I won't set my last spot like I was gonna today ...if the eagles nailed dogs at my first site I will pull them all and sit it out this year . I hate to do that because I love the challenge and fun of snaring ,but it's too expensive and too much work just to feed the birds .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Set 8 more snares at home today ,I put out a roadkill 3 days ago 400 yds from the house and it is almost cleaned up ...in heavy willows and I.mangaed to set 6 good ones . Also 2 good trail sets on travel routes . Tomorrow I will check the hiline sites ,let's hope the eagles behaved.

Prebaited my west site this afternoon ,saw 2 dogs while walking in ..after pulling my bait 400 yds down onto the usual spot I realized how dumb I am .. There is good brush up near the top of the hill where I caught 9 dogs last year and the bigger bush at the bottom ..thinking as I walked back to the top why didn't I just bait the top and catch em.there so I don't have to pull them all the way to the top???? Man my back saves my head alot of work ..lol.. see what happens .

Sorry for the lack of pics guys ,it's been too cold to get the phone out but I will try tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
“My back saves my head a lot of work”
Hahaha……Love this saying

Good luck Cam.

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hopefully you get a truck load
Close pokey ..lol.. got a few pics for ya boys...caught 3 at first site and a chew out . Sad thing is the chewout didn't fight at all...I mean not at all !!!! From the tracks in the snow he came to end of the snare sat down and decided to chew ...would have had to be there when he got caught to get him ..bait was untouched .

Second site One live one caught this morning ,he was a little deep on the throat and thick fur plugged the lock not allowing it to slide enough ..dispatched him and moved on ..had 3 duck unders so placed a chinup stick there . I may have had the snare a touch big on the live one so closed down the rest a bit as I went . Caught another ,snow covered so must have been the first night . Stretched to end of the extension and very little sight disturbance.... 4 snares to go and next snare was off the support wire so I looked at the area for a catch to be buried under the snow ..nope ,can't see em . So started to look for extension and lo and behold the whole setup is gone...anchor bush is missing .OK, I've been here once before so started scanning the area and 50 yds away I see a branch sticking out if the cattails...now that's not supposed to be there and 3 ft to the left is a pair of ears and 2 yellow eyes staring back at me ..bingo ,meet Mr 17hmr buddy .. got.lucky guys ,he could have gone anywhere and decided to try and hide in the cattails and got hungup . Last snare was a refusal and I'm not too surprised . It's at the bottom of a steep hill and out in the open at beginning of a trail and kinda stands out so I brushed it in a bit better ..may have to move it a few ft down the trail if it happens again ..I was a but pressed for time so didn't get the chance to finish setting at this spot..abiut 6 more need to go in ..next trip. Pics 3 and4 are a catch and sight remake ,not much disturbance.

So I finished up with 6 and am very happy with that .. 4 good colored ones ,one decent and a dark brown that I will try and peddle to my skinner for a cut in skinning charges.. still cold -19°C at 2 pm when I finished . Tomorrow I will go set the west site .

21 - 40 of 41 Posts