Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tagging a nice buck, this past fall, I decided to try some ground hunting. I found a nice blown down tree and made it my hiding place. The moring of the hunt, I spread a few apples along the trail and I waited about 25 minutes before the big doe showed up. After she ate her share of the apples, she turned to walk away and that's when I took the opportunity to draw. The shot was an extreme angling away. The Fuse Banshee broadhead entered at the front of the left rear leg and exited just ahead of the right front shoulder. The only vital organ that didn't get hit was the right lung.

After a short run, she tipped over and I had a short drag to my house of about 170 yards. This is the second deer that I've taken from the ground and it was very exciting. I may try this again, next year.

What's your preference...treestands or ground hunting?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Doe D.jpg
Doe 3.jpg

Attachments

·
38 Posts
I like both just which ever works better at the setup the ground seems to be easier for filming, not having to hang double sets and carry the camera arm. My wife is definatly would say ground even though she killed a big ohio 8pt out of a tree stand she loves her blinds and will hardly hunt out of anything else.

·
8 Posts
I stay on the ground! I like makeing stands out of bush close to trails and bait the deer to come in close. Having said that I've never shot a deer from the stands always when walking trails is when I get them.
Starting lately to bow hunt I will be staying with ground stands.

·
7 Posts
Primarly out of tree stands but i do have a couple of places along field edges were there are no trees for a stand so I have a couple of ground blinds set up.

·
8 Posts
Elk and mule deer, on the ground. Whitetails from a treestand.

·
135 Posts
First congrads on a great hunt ! I favor tree stand hunting but i have no problem hunting from the ground. Heck back in my early days we only hunted from the groung. Then there are the spots i hunt where if you get in a tree you show up like a lit up christmass tree. As long as you are hunting ........that's what counts. Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts