Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone hunt out of treestands when predator hunting? Are there any advantages to being high off the ground or is it just too much work?

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
zorconjef,
I don't hunt from tree stands because where I live there are no trees big enough to hang a stand. I do however, hunt from deer blinds we have built. It depends on the terrain and ground cover on whether or not you need elevation. Here the terrain is basically flat with a few draws and creekbeds. I hunt over plowed fields from an atv or ground blind. When the ground cover, like CRP, is mature and tall, I usually set up in one of my deer blinds. That gives me about 8' of elevation and really allows me a great field of view.

·
5 Posts
zorconjef,
I like to keep all the options open. Usually hunt from the ground, but on one particular occasion where we called and had howls & barks but "no show" we backed out and went back a few days later w/climbers. Got up in the air, called in two and got one. Hunting in Maine, it's sometimes advantageous to get up in a tree to increase visibility. To each his own...

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out Saturday morning 6AM to 1:30PM. Three to 4 feet of snow on the ground. I only sank 20 inches with snowshoes, once removed sank another 2 feet. A perfect ground blind. One came in up wind, didn't expect it, either got my scent, movement, one bark and it was gone in a flash. Going to try this evening(full moon) in another area where the snow is about 1 foot deep.

·
79 Posts
I like to cover to much ground when coyote hunting to use a tree stand, but I have shot coyotes from my tree stand while deer hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts