Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These bullets were recovered from wet newspaper and magazine bundles. Caliber .300 Winchester Magnum at 2850 fps at 10 feet. Recovered weight for each was 150 grains. This is what controlled expansion looks like. (This particular load was designed to meet the specs to coincide with the multi-point reticle of a Shepherd scope.)

On the other hand - and what prompted this experiment - I wanted to learn what a Remington bronze point would do. I found out. Understand that the bronze point is the only bullet to pass through my 250-yard gonger made of 5/8-inch thick steel. So, for comparison, I wanted to compare its results to that of a good hunting bullet of the same weight.

The bronze point disintegrated and created a vast wound channel with fragments strewn along the path of capture. The largest chunk recovered was around 70 grains. The load developed 3008 fps, so it was a bit faster, but not that much.

Bottom line is to find out about your ammo and not trust anything the manufacturers claim about their bullets' integrity. Although the bronze point will certainly take down big game (and, this exact ammo was used for that purpose in the 90s), it's going to destroy meat with typical shots. Long ago, I switched to quality, controlled expansion bullets and I am always compelled to discover the truth of their toughness.
BulletsNoslerPartition721.JPG

·
Die Hard Member
2,324 Posts
I am a big fan of nosler partition bullets, getting pass through on most of the animals that I have shot and expanding well.

·
Super Moderator
23,218 Posts
I too am a Nosler partition shooter for big game. I, as most of you know swear by their Varmint bullets as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts