Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
Texas has a special permit you have to purchase to hunt on public land. What you can hunt and hunt with is set out in the book they send out when you get your license. Up hear around the metro plex of DFW you can use a bow or shotgun. The larger areas in south eastern Texas allows rifles but have never been down that way. alot of the public lands is around the many lakes we have and nation forest areas.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A lot of the public areas do not allow predator hunting. Some don't disallow it but they restrict you to a shotgun with #4 shot, not buck just plain #4 birdshot. You have to call em in very close to kill them with #4. Soem areas you can hunt coyotes but only if you get drawn for a big game hunt and only during the hunt. Many Texas public areas are over called and most of the predators are educated. JMHO

·
61 Posts
Chris, this is why I was telling you about hunting on Ft Hood. it is an hour north of austin and available to you. texas has great hunting but finding a place is hard. The smaller state lands are used hard. I would advise gettign with some of the Texas folks until you find a lease or landowners who will let you go out. The ever popular $ drives most landowners here. I have miles and miles of area for $60 per year on Ft Hood and it is only 25 minutes from my house. I never see any other hunters there and the wardens dont mess with you as long as you call and advise them that you are out in specific areas. It is several hundred square miles and I always call coyotes. several local ranchers around my place also let me go on their places but not during deer seasons. you will find places. I am looking into a trip to Black Gap WMA in far west TX. Really a big, out of the way place with plenty of dogs, fox and mt lions. I will let you know what I find. Most of us, at least my family and friends dont hunt too often in summer as it is too hot and the snakes are out. let me know when you get to Austin. MG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts