Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a weird question, but I'm struggling with this part. I have stood up to run something off twice. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I only have sight in one eye and I think the lack of depth perception makes the yotes hard to pick out among the brush.

Do you usually hear fox and coyotes approaching? Are the ears erect when they approach? Trying to think of anything that I can try to pick out.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
What??? You think you can disappear for two months and just pop back up and start askin questions!!!???!!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've stood up from gathering my stuff to have coyotes in front of me many, many times.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always disapear during the last few weeks before the semester ends lol. I have been hunting sporatically, but its tough. Will be a lot easier once I graduate and get a job and have the weekends off.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I always disapear during the last few weeks before the semester ends lol. I have been hunting sporatically, but its tough. Will be a lot easier once I graduate and get a job and have the weekends off
That sounds good in theory.... lets hope it works out! :)

Yeah they can be tricky buggers to spot. Normally movement clues me in before I see the coyote. Birds take off, squirrels run up trees, rabbit jumps out of a hedge row and dart back in or the coyote itself moving. Other than than just keep scanning and if you miss one... well that is just part of the game.

When they are coming in to the call the ears are often at high noon and facing you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
...If a coyote steps in the woods, does it make a sound? Yes, but soft footed animals (coyotes, fox, bear) make a lot less sound than hard footed animals(Deer). I can hear fox if they're on crunchy leaves, but when I hear them, I've already spotted them usually. Coyotes are harder to see than reds because they have better camo. I'd pay $75.00 to know about all the critters called that I haven't seen. Checking your set area after you call with snow on the ground can reveal many of these missed. I call them "FTAs" (Called in but, "Failure to Appear"). ...Don't you hate how formal education interupts hunting!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can speak, at least in the case of bobcats, that squirrels really react! And, bobcats don't usually come running in, but they saunter at best and really just walk in very quiet. But, I remember being on a deer stand and witnessing 4 or 5 squirrels just going berserk running up trees, chattering like you wouldn't believe and then within a couple minutes later a huge bobcat made his presence known 100 yards out. At first, I was thinking it was a doe, it was so big. Then I realized, that doesn't quite look like a deer. Then it loped through my shooting lane and into the treeline, and it was gone. As soon as it started to move I realized what it was and I was shocked at it's size. My gun came up but too late. It was gone. I vividly remember how large it was and how beast of the woods it looked as it loped out of view. The other thing I remember and what I'm always looking for again was how crazy noisy those squirrels were just before it appeared. I will be quicker to get on guard next time I witness squirrels doing that.

·
3,066 Posts
My eyes are definitely not the best. What I usually pick up on is the white chest, movement or the tail.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

I have moved away from hunting fields and it really makes me notice my sub par vision. I'll try to look for the tail and chest.

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Try to pick out movement !

nattyb PM me for my mailing address I'll send you back a list..It'll be a box....LOL

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you can hunt from a treestand, it might give you a better chance of seeing the movement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems to me like they magically appear 50-75 yards away. Shot one yesterday in a field with two entrance points and I still have no idea where he came from

·
Registered
954 Posts
Super soph 198, You got the right part right. Critters will use dead ground on approach. If you get down on your hands and knees or sniper crawl, there is alot more dead ground out there than we realize.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm assuming they are easier to spot with experience? Got permission to hunt about 200 acres yesterday!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you tryed hunting with a partner? I usally carry a rifle, and partner a shot gun ( we alternate at times ). Hes got 2x better eyes than me. As the saying goes, two heads are better than one.. so 4 eyes are better than 2.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
That is so true, when my oldest son goes with me . we always call in animals. I have had my best days when he is with me. He can spot game 10 times better than me (I know its this age crap). I would say we average 4 called in in 6 sets when he goes and when I go alone I average 1 or 2 per 6 sets and thats not exaggerating.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That is so true, when my oldest son goes with me . we always call in animals. I have had my best days when he is with me. He can spot game 10 times better than me (I know its this age crap). I would say we average 4 called in in 6 sets when he goes and when I go alone I average 1 or 2 per 6 sets and thats not exaggerating.
Yeah, those critters are tough to see in the AZ bush..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been holding partner try outs lol. Took my best friend, he moved so much I knew it was going to be a blank stand 2 minutes in. Took my dad, hes loud and also moves.

Taking another guy soon, he bow hunts so he will probably be more compatible. Good partners are harder to find than the coyotes lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts