Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bullwinkle and I headed afield before the hot and humid air became uncomfortable. Dang heat wave here like so many other places around the country. I had an old Remington 1100 in 20 gauge that I had modified to make it more versatile. Gone was the fixed full-choke, 28-inch barrel, which was shortened a half foot with inside threads to accommodate choke tubes. For crows, some very old Federal 8-shot ammo was used with a price tag from K-Mart in the amount of $2.99!

Bullwinkle was carrying a double 20-gauge with 3-inch loads. We left after a couple groups were called in and I managed to drop two of them. There were three sandhill cranes in the field and they squawked a lot when we shot, but they never left 'til we got out of the blind.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sweet keep after them when does season close again on them I have a few that need to be thinned out around here

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pokey, you have another month to hunt them. Our seasons run August/September and February/March. Now is the best time, because young birds have never been shot at and make mistakes. By February they're all smarter and the cover is gone. Best to do it now.

Yesterday, I listened to them in the distance and they were milling around in the tall trees unseen and making gutteral sounds. Absolutely unaware we were nearby. As soon as I used the crow distress at volume just loud enough for them to hear, I shut it off after a few seconds and they were already charging toward us at low altitude. I had a fake fur on the ground to help with the ruse and they tuned in to it as planned.

If your cover is good enough to keep you hidden, there is a chance the action can get hectic. Sometimes I shoot all the shells I brought with me and reload repeatedly. This time, they came in twice after a brief pause and we called it quits after another volley.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to get a double that way, Fred, but still fun.
This pile included my first double with my semi-auto Browning 12-gauge.
Once got a "double" with my NEF in .223 caliber, though. Called one in and it landed in a tree. Popped it. It's comrade came over to see what the heck, and landed in the same tree with the same result. Maybe not a real double, but I'm counting it. Most of my rifle kills were shots of opportunity and always a good challenge.

But, when a group comes in, there's nothing like the frantic action that follows - especially if shotgunners can remain hidden. I've reloaded over and over and completely shot all the shells with me on one volley after another.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You take great photos.

Reactions: Glenwhey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts