Predator Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predator University & Tony Tebbe - Have you hunted with him?

20K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  El Gato Loco 
#1 ·
I think most of us know that Tony stacks more predators on the back of his trucks than the average hunter. I am just curious if anyone out here has hunted with him before? I am going out to Texas, and then New Mexico next week to hunt with him, and i'm getting pretty excited about it all. I'd love to hear any / all stories from those of you who have hunted with Tony Tebbe @ his "Predator University".

#2 ·
Hunted with him.....heck I gave him his start when he couldnt make a call ring if it were bought from Major Boddicker. After a few trips to the sandhills and a few lucky hunts here in Iowa he found out that to be a great caller in Iowa takes time. Now I see it this way, Tony, like most young men didnt want to take that time, so he moved south where a caller can get them a tad easier with just a distress sound.

I bet if he came back to Iowa now a days he would have an easier time now that he has a few yotes under his belt. But he better come with a handful of howling techniques because when the deer gut piles start on the ground early Dec and then mating season starts mid Jan, distress will fail even the most consitent distress caller.

Below is his first website and a few pictures of me ( "....My Buddy Larry")
http://www.custompredatorcalls.com/huntpics.htm
The other pictures came after few training trips from yours truly when I took him on trips to the Sandhills. Has he come a long ways........yep. But what I cant understand is why he needed the old duck truck to shoot off of??
Oh well from what I read it seemed to start a fad from shooting off pickup toppers.

But this old guy can still out call him. I am not bragging its just a fact. You see after 44 years of consitently calling Mink, raccoons, Fox, Crows, Yotes and Bobcats here in Iowa and Nebraska I learned a hell of allot. I didnt need to travel to shoot 30-80 predators/year.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Larry,

What's your point? I don't pick sides or run with any "cliques" like a lot of guys do but I see Tony as a guy who saw an opportunity and took it. Hell, he's enjoying life and doing what he wants to do, so why be so bitter?

I hunted with him and have no complaints. He cant return a text message or email worth a crap, but that's a whole different story.

There are a lot of guys who don't like Tony just because he's doing what he loves and is successful at it. Where I come from, they call that jealousy. More power to the man. Go out there and get yourself a piece too.

#4 ·
@TheDuckMaster trying to figure out your sentiments behind this post. Is this...

A) a slam on Tony for not being "patient" enough to learn to call in Iowa.
Trying to pump yourself up for giving Tony his start and take the credit for his success.
C) Are maybe just jealous that the guy's doing what he loves and didn't give you enough credit.
D) You're inviting all of us up to Iowa for a guided winter predator hunt.

I don't know Tony at all, so I'm not taking sides. But if you don't like him or want to be honest about what you think of him you could do that without talking yourself up.

On the other hand, if I was right about answer D) above, we have an outfitter thread you should post in and give some of our Ohio and Michigan guys a workout.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well.... Duckmaster welcome to the forum?? I don't know Tony personally but I have done a little business with him and have always found him to be a standup guy.
I too admire his desire to make a living doing what he loves ( I am jealous as hell). Tony seems to have built himself a good business and untill now I have never heard anyone have a less than admirable opinion of him.

BTW should we know you?

#6 ·
My point is you asked if anyone has hunted with him and I told a honest story. I cant recall bashing him in my words??? And I assure you I am not bragging I dont need too just expanding on the answer to you question. Funny how when you speak the truth these days with no fluff people automatically get their hackles up.

The only thing that pisses me about him is the fact that a guy like Tebbe can quickly forget where he got his start, you would at least think he would aknolwedge me and the Ranchers in Nebraska for helping him when he really did need it the most! Or he would at least ask some of us down for a get together. But then its only been 5 years since we started him out maybe he is waiting for a 10 year anniversary! I will say this he did present me with a real nice custom made Dan Thompson howler for my efforts on our last Nebraska trip. But the fact is Ol Ducky wasnt famous so he started hanging pout with the famous guys, like Andersen, Paulette and would often tell me his videos are just as as good as theres when he would get back to Cedar Rapids. SOooooooooo no you wont know me because I dont wish to be famous or make money off our heritage.

Fact is I would of never helped Tebbe except I tried his very first calls at Hawkeye downs in Cedar Rapids at a gun show when I was picking up some reloading supplies. I saw his table and calls and they looked interesting. We talked and I blew one in the loading doc. I immediatley avised Tebbe he needed some more work. He asked me if I would hunt with him, so feeling sorry for this fledgling caller and call maker I gave him my number. He called a few weeks later to see if I would hunt with him and help him with his calls. Being a man of my word and saying I would help him, I invited him on what seemed his first ever real calling triip. We headed to the ranch in Nebraska. He handed me a call and I blew it it was okay but I put it in my pocket and used a Dan Thompson howler mouthpiece the rest of the time. Later we got his call to work and I called in a yote.

So has he worked hard yep. Am I jealous of him Nope. Do his calls work.......now they do. Am I frustrated me and Lemoyne never got an return favor to shoot a few critters at his place in the SW....yep

Thats the story....so again to answer the question has anyone hunted with Tebbe? I have and long before you ever knew the guy existed.

#7 ·
Perhaps you might read your post from an objective viewpoint. All I read is "sour grapes", and jealousy. I think it's probably safe to say that this is not the first time or place that you have shown this attitude. And by attitude I mean whiney BS. Telling someone that their calls need work does not,in my opinion, entite you to a seat on the board of directors. I also think it's safe to say that the only reason you are here is to bash Tony, as I have not read another word from you sharing all the wisdom you claim to have. If you have a line of calls I for one would like to see them, and if you can put a sound file up all the better. If they sound better than Tony's chances are you will be able to sell a few. In fact if you can and do I wil buy one of yours(at a reasonable price) instead of the ones I was planning on buying from Tony.

#8 ·
Whiney BS nope, sour grapes F&** yes. You "PRO's" need to throw away the Bias towards Tebbe just because he has a bussiness and some of you paid big bucks to hunt with him. Something that to this old boy that means nothing! If you read my post I said early on I helped him. That was when he was a fledling probably 7-8 years ago.

I make calls but only for the guys that shoot their first yotes. But because of Tebbe and a few others that have burned me over the years it takes allot of time for me to get to know someone before they hunt with me. BTW I use the cow horns now a days intended for Tebbe. When I say intended he also used others to get ahead. Many years ago he asked my good friend Lemoyne the rancher in Nebraska to get him some horns. Lemoyne trying to help get started like me got them for him he he never picked them up. So now I use them and when a family member or a very very close friend I can trust shoots their first yote. Lemoyne is another man Tebbe owes allot too and I doubt he will hunt that ranch ever again.

Bottomline I encourage you to buy from Tony. As mine are not for sale.

Ill say this ......before this whole predator hunting thing was so popular I was out banging them. That was in the 60s and 70s. Back when the only published guy was Murry Burnham and you saw him with Grish Gressum on TV. And the best tapes where from Dennis Kirk. Tapes I tested for him in the midwest and western states. Tapes made from real animal sounds unlike a recorded caller in a studio that seems imprinted on every chip on todays popular callers except one or two.

So again you have and other "Pros" have it wrong. My frustration with Tebbe is the fact he forgot about the people that got him started. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes I have sour grapes and any man would. As no one like to be used as a stepping stone. That is just plain wrong. And I am using sites like this one and others to finnaly voice the wrong that has been done so one man could enlarge his ego. That is why you have read this before.

Lastly I will say this......I was helping him to succeed to a point I was even going to let him use my band saw to help him cut the tips off cow horns and antlers. Glad I didnt because perhaps now a days that would of been a lost peice of equipment ...who knows?

So you all bow to the greatness of publisized callers like Tebbe and be in awe of what they have done. But just remember that behind most of them are older guys that really know their stuff. (Major Boddicker is another that comes to mind that has helped many) Guys that enjoy the sport for what it is, not because it makes them part of a electronic club.

So with that I am done with this club too! If you want to call me and speak to me in person......ask Tebbe he has my number!

#9 ·
Just in case you decide to check back I'll tell you something DuckMaster, I have never hunted with Tony. Am I sticking up for him ? Hell yes, the same as I would for any friend. I have never met the man and I feel as though he is a friend. Good people is how I like to describe people like him. I only know him from his reputation, which is about all we have on these sites, untill we meet. Perhaps we should all send you thank you cards for taking a poor hapless boy and turning him into an awesome caller. Who else burned you DM ? Did you tell Bill Gates that his computers ran slowly? Not to rub it in but Tony and his partner Kerry Carver just took second place in the "Worlds".

#10 ·
Sounds like DM wants everybody to bow down before him in all his great wisdom since he went so far out of his way to aid Tebbe on the path to fame. Folks mostly help others out because they want to---if not, sign a contract if you want a piece of the pie on down the road.

I too must be an awful person like Tebbe since I started an ADC outfit years ago and had some help---"stepping stones". Its not a stroll in the park to start a bussiness and have it grow and succeed, but theres guys like Tebbe, Chris Miller and others that have the get up and go, to get up and make something for themself and their family.

I hear the same kind of whiners as DM down at the V.F.W. cry'in in their whiskey saying if it wasn't for me, he'd have never------ Its really something that Tebbe's success came from a few critter call'in lessons.

ALL HAIL---ALL HAIL. Nuf said.

Anyway---its time for me to tell everyone how great I am since that seems to be what this post is all about.

I too, have 40+ years of call'in the above mentioned critters in post #2, except I can throw in Lions too---so with the hundreds of hours spent in the field and timber, I AM a pro.

Miss K says I'm start'in to ramble so I'll say one last thing--- I joined Predatortalk to spend hours of my time and knowledge to help ALL the members here have a more productive and enjoyable time afield.

So go ahead guys---use me as a "stepping stone"---drag me through the dirt---I'll help you out. Just don't kick me when I'm not look'in.

Happy Trails

#11 ·
Well CC...I would never kick you when you were looking either...with those kickers you wear, I would be a fool. You and Don said enough so there is no need for me to jump on the wagon too. And salt in a wound in not a welcome thing.

I bet we all learned from someone else. And that is a good thing. Pehaps Tony could share a thing or two ? But we are not a site for bashing or the likes. Personally the guy that showed me how to hunt yotes knew less than I did.

#12 ·
wow.... I must say that this was some interesting reading! kind of makes me think of one of my favorite skits from Whose Line Is It Anyway? ... "someone needs a hug!"

but seriously... I'd like to thank all those that helped me get my start into calling coyotes before I get smashed about for not giving out the kudos that should have (or perceivably should have) been given out just in case I make it big time in this biz ....

To the Google Search Engine ... for retrieving "PredatorTalk.com" when I searched for "predator hunting forum"

To Chris Miller ... for putting together PredatorTalk.com. If it wasn't for this site my interests would never have been peaked.

To FL Taxidermist ... for helping me with bags of hide scraps as these hairs may just turn out the next world-class fishing jig

To On a Call ... for helping me with squirrel tails cause these just may turn out the next world-class fishing jig

To Bigdrowdy1 ... for shaking my hand at our 2010 Beast Feast and handing me a couple of PredatorTalk.com coozies of which I took pictures of and helped to generate interest from others here on this awesome forum to post up pics of their coozies which thusly helped spur the interest of those that did not have their own coozies to inquire to learn how they too could get their very own coozies so that they too could post up their very own "check out my PT coozie" thus sparking an online phenomenon that would go on for eons of time!

To Joe Bradshaw ... for that awesome dymondwood caller that has me working it to and from work each day!!

To youngdon ... for letting us know that you're a man, and that you can change, if you have to, I(you) guess!!!

and to you, the valued PredatorTalk.com forum member ... for reading this post without cracking up and bursting at the seams with delirious laughter!!!

And Chris... after reading your blog entry on your hunt, looks like you boys had a heck of a time!!

Hope y'all enjoyed this diatribe!!

(and my thanks to dictionary.reference.com for helping me ensure that I was using "diatribe" in the right context!!!, hehehehehee)

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well said !! And thank you AW! For posting this and lightening the mood just a tad.

#14 ·
And I am using sites like this one and others to finnaly voice the wrong that has been done so one man could enlarge his ego.
That surely explains why the only time your name comes up on internet forums, is to bash me and boast yourself.

To be totally honest, I stopped hanging around you and talking with you, as all you ever did was boast about yourself, how god-like you were, even to the point of bashing Randy Anderson, as you claimed to be far superior. I just got tired of hearing the vane bullchit.

Tony

#27 ·
You have never been totally honest . My boasting as you put it was your early calling education and in fact I bet its what you use and teach today. The fact is I got tired of hearing how you were going to make 100K/Year selling videos like Andersen and the bunch. That is when our paths parted. You wanted celebrety calling status so bad you stepped on the me bad, real bad!

#16 ·
Im still waiting for you to finish that with "from my wife".

#17 ·
Tony Tebbe said:
That surely explains why the only time your name comes up on internet forums, is to bash me and boast yourself.

To be totally honest, I stopped hanging around you and talking with you, as all you ever did was boast about yourself, how god-like you were, even to the point of bashing Randy Anderson, as you claimed to be far superior. I just got tired of hearing the vane bullchit.

Tony
Glad you checked in Tony. Believe me, even though we have never met, I knew the DM posts were so much BS as soon as I read them. I know people like that and have recently been dealing with one and have cut all ties with him. Reading about Chris Miller's hunt with you formed the opinions of lots of members here. I assure you, we were not swayed by DM.

#19 ·
Not to rub it in but Tony and his partner Kerry Carver just took second place in the "Worlds".
Is this legit?! Don feel like posting a link so my lazy but can get to it without taking time away from my precious evening predatortalk.com time?

BTW, in the spirit of AWM thanking everyone, I'm in on it to. Thanks to all you guys who have gone before, learned tricks and been willing to share them. I admire your generosity and openness of disclosing your secrets!

#20 ·
Tony and Kerry took second place.... same amount of dogs as first place (9), they just checked in 2 minutes later than the other guys.

#22 ·
Congratulations Tony!!

#25 ·
Tony Tebbe said:
Yes, it's legit. We tied for 1st place with 9 coyotes, but was beat by another team by 2 minutes!
That's OK, 2nd place ain't bad. Our goal was to make Top 10 again, anything above would be a bonus. We were very pleased.
Congrats Tony! That's very exciting stuff man. And 2 minutes, OUCH! It's amazing what you can accomplish in the Southwest with so little talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.