Predator Hunting Forum banner
241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Thanx Glen ,the Tikka could solve a bunch of my bird problems but land me in a whole lot of hot water too... A couple weeks left ,we will see if moving the carcasses solves some of my problems .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Now Im getting excited, the birds had put a damper on my snaring but catching 3 clean beauties today has me close to my goal ...all caught at the site where the dogs pulled down a mule doe 4 days ago ..

One female had a start of mange on front leg and back of one ear but was amazing otherwise .

Also caught a Booner porky at my river location .... he had qandered the hillaide and knocked down 4 other snares before he found one low enough to nail him ..now he is bait .

Only need 3 ..

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Thanx pokey , Ive got a couple small baits near the yard ,caught 3 dogs and 2 foxes in them ...coyotes have been circling them lately and then head north down the valley so I set 6 snares in the bottle neck of brush down there where they are hunting pheasants at night . As I finished up a pair of dogs were howling within a half mile and as it got darker they moved closer ..maybe I got one of them .

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
No catches here at home or fresh tracks ..checked hiline east bait in the the wind from Hell today ,60 mph + ...snow disappears fast and no freah tracks so I lifted those snares and then went to feed the eagles for the last time this week . They had eaten about half of the 4 fresh dogs I gave them 2 days ago and 2 baldys were perched in a nearby tree .

Weather is supposed to stay warm and windy til Sunday then gradually cool off to more seasonal temperatures but nothing nasty . I will leave those 2 hiline baits closed til then and if we get a bit of snow I will reopen at least the south and head for the finish line ..the west bait will get checked tomorrow and I will report for ya..

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Your welcome Swampbuck , I enjoy sharing my fun and adventure ..getting close to the end of another season but not quite .

4 days ago I set 6 snares behind the house in the brush cause I kept getting woke up at night by coyotes barking and howling while chasing pheasants ...last night at 2 a.m. I woke to a single howl/ gurgle and told Deb " we got one " ..when I checked this morning I had # 98.. 200 yds from the porch

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Intruders don't have a chance sneaking around your place.
Hahaha...nope, sometimes I take things personal ..with this warm spell the skunks are back out ,I tried to shut all my footholds to avoid em but didnt quute make it and caught a nice one 2 days ago ...also the big male coina are chasing around now that its mating season, set a couple snares especially for them yesterday.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
On a side note Glen ,my end result all depends on how the eagles behave ...if they leave my stuff alone I will go to the end of the month, if not then Ill stop close to 100. Im not gonna sacrifice dogs just to feed em to eagles. I had a strange idea ,what if I were to catch a coyote and load him up with cayenne pepper...how many times would an eagle try it before getting cures of eating it ?

·
Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
Ya I think a couple skunks are camped out under the shop, dig holes everywhere. Eagles and cayenne - off to Mexico they go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Came across this picture on the internet. It was captioned "checking cable in Saskatchewan". Looks like a load of coyotes.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Careful Cam. Birds will devour hot pepper seed and come back for more.

Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan...Show me a 'yote and I'll catch you one.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Did some research and Pepper idea is out ..hey Murphy that is indeed a load of dogs , theres a bunch of guys up here that pull that off ,not me ..they look good .
.I dont have enough baits or contestants to do it ,besides with the birds I can't leave long times between checks .

Ive talked with some of them and they have between 20 - 40 baits and only check once every 5 -6 days ,Id have nothjng left if I did that . One guy is approaching 500 and says he is exhausted, he should be ,he started Nov 1 , its a big job running 40 baits on that..he caught 1029 in 3 months last year ,wore out his truck and almost his marriage

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Close , I almost made it ..lol.. checked today and got #99 in 6 weeks ...note to self..when u use a porky for bait ,make sure the caught coyote can't reach bait porky after the dog is ,caught and fighting the snare..gonna be a prickly job skinning

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Oh man I’ll bet he wished he did mess with that porky congrats on 99

241 - 260 of 283 Posts